Info wanted on tcp/ip port filtering

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by george, May 4, 2004.

  1. george

    george Guest

    Hi all,
    I have 4 computers networked with 1 providing dialup for the others.
    I am running xp pro on all. I need to block internet service on 2 of
    the computers. I have used several good firewalls but the users can't
    seem to cope with the occasional questions the firewall presents and
    I'm not here to deal with it.

    Can I just allow the ports use to access network files thru tcp/ip
    filtering? If so, how do I figure out the ports to allow?

    Is there another way thru registry editing to disallow certain
    programs access to the modem?

    Either way or a combination would work for me.

    I've searched google but everything is soooooo confusing.

    Thankyou for any help.

    George

    george, May 4, 2004

  2. george

    george Guest

    Thanks Colonel

    george, May 5, 2004

  3. setup permissions on accounts on the machine. do not give admin to the
    accounts you don't want to have internet access to, password protect all
    accounts, only give the passwords to the appropriate people.

    on the computers you don't want to have access to the internet, login as
    administrator, change the default gateway on the machine you don't want
    to have access. for that matter, change the IP address to something
    strange, change the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0

    as long as they don't have admin rights, they won't be able to change
    it.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/