Info sought on Computeach (a UK-based training firm)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick Worley, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Nick Worley

    Nick Worley Guest

    I've just had someone from the UK-based home-learning firm Computeach come
    round to my house to sell me their C++/Visual C++ course after I sent them
    my details after seeing a TV advert. The course involves 500 hours of home
    study (the time it takes to complete obviously depends on how much work you
    put in in your free time, although 6 months to a year is doable), costs
    nearly GBP 4,000 (4,000 pounds sterling) and leads to the Microsoft
    Certified Professional (MCP) qualification. The rep claimed their courses
    are job-oriented (rather than purely academic) and the percentage of
    students getting programming jobs at the end of the course is over 80% with
    programming salaries ranging between GBP 20k and GBP 35k a year. The rep
    gave me all sorts of other wonderful facts and figures, most of which I have
    no way of checking or confirming, but I wonder if anyone could answer some
    queries I have about Computeach:
    - is the firm reputable?
    - has anyone here done any of their courses and would you recommend doing
    any of them?
    - is the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) qualification worth having -
    will it lead to all the wonderful jobs the rep was claiming?
    Clearly 4 grand is not an insubstantial amount and I want to be sure this is
    worth signing up to or whether I should walk away.
    Thanks
    Nick

    Nick Worley, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Nick Worley

    frank© Guest

    I have a bridge for sale, it's over the Thames, would you like to view it,
    with the prospect of buying???

    "Nick Worley"

    frank©, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Nick Worley

    Cicero Guest

    "Nick Worley"
    A friend was offered the same kind of promises. When he asked for recent
    statistics on job placements the rep was rather vague. There are other ways
    to learn C and C++ ( private study, evening classes etc). Have a look at:
    www.wise.co.uk for one possible alternative - much cheaper.

    Cic.

    Cicero, Aug 22, 2003