Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 19, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 19, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Oct 20, 2011

  3. RichA

    philo Guest

    worked fine here
    maybe you have a browser problem?

    philo, Oct 20, 2011
  4. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    It seems like an all or nothing type of gimmick.
    Some parts remain out of focus depending on which part
    of the pictures is clicked on.

    Irwell, Oct 20, 2011
  5. David J Taylor, Oct 20, 2011
  6. RichA

    bob Guest

    This is a very neat technology.

    What is a great use for this other than a neat toy?

    This is a solution looking for a problem.

    I wonder if the images can be processed so that all objects are in focus at
    the same time. If so, this would be infinite DOF indeed. Perhaps this could
    be combined with very fast lenses at wide open aperture which is usually
    impractical because of the too shadow DOF.

    bob, Oct 20, 2011
  7. RichA

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Oct 20, 2011
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    This reminds me of those cheap binoculars (Bushnell) that have no
    focus mechanism and rely on your eye to achieve a kind of focus from
    about 20ft to infinity.

    RichA, Oct 20, 2011
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    It could be used to refine focus when doing close-ups. Where people
    (or the camera) accidentally focuses on the tip of a nose instead of
    the eyes, etc.

    RichA, Oct 20, 2011
  10. []
    My Bushnell binoculars have both focus and diopter adjustments. You need
    to pay more next time!

    David J Taylor, Oct 20, 2011
  11. So what? Your implication that all Bushnell binoculars are either cheap
    or lack focus adjustment was misleading, and false. You may buy $2000
    binoculars, but not everyone can afford them!

    David J Taylor, Oct 21, 2011
  12. This camera will be rememebered as the first tremor in a major tectonic
    shift in photography. One of the big camera compnaies is likely to snap
    these guys up for a LOT of money, if only just for the patents. This sort
    of photography is going to have applications that haven't even been
    invented yet. And man, when this gets implemented into video... well,
    everything is going to change, and a lot more work is going to focus on
    post-production.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    [email protected]: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT [email protected]:http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 26, 2011
  13. Ryan McGinnis, Oct 26, 2011
  14. It could be used to have infinite creative control of focus in
    post-production. This would be especially useful in video. It also
    captures in 3D.

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 26, 2011
  15. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    People said that about Silicon Film, and then Foveon.

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    silicon film never existed. they spent a lot of money hyping what was
    essentially impossible to actually build. lots of cool marketing
    though.

    foveon made some bold claims but those claims do not hold up to
    scrutiny. they did release several products but overall, it's been a
    commercial failure. they would have been bankrupt had sigma not bought
    them.

    Guest, Oct 27, 2011
  17. And I can point you to web forums where hordes of Apple fans made fun of
    the first iPod, calling it Apple's biggest, dumbest blunder. What people
    say is less important than what people do. There are so many
    applications for this technology that it's hard to even predict what could
    become available.

    The difference between light field photography and Foveon is like the
    difference between a car and an aeroplane. They are fundamentally
    different technologies. Almost as dramatic a difference as a camera
    obscura versus a SLR. It took the invention of light-sensitve
    chemical compounds to move from obscura to camera - no longer did the
    image need to be temporary or transcribed by hand. The invention of
    digital sensors, computerized post processing, and micro lenses allows
    technology like a
    light-field camera to exist -- which frees photographers from needing to
    fix the focal point and depth of field at moment of capture. (It also
    frees the photographer from chosing between two dimensions or three.) I
    suspect the real miracle with this will eventually be in video.

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  18. Yes, thanks. It seems that the article, or more likely my reading of it,
    didn't make things very clear. Will be interesting to read the first user
    reports.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 27, 2011
  19. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On the contrary, there are no applications for this technology other
    than selling it to consumers as a gimmick, for that is all it is. It
    is technically interesting but serves no useful purpose. It is a
    solution looking for a problem, a problem that is a long way from
    being found.

    No doubt you will continue to wet your pants with excitement, but
    that's just you thinking you have found a new toy.

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
  20. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    User reports? Who on earth would *use* this? What for?

    There will be plenty of techies interested in the technology, but
    selling it to consumers will be difficult, because it has very little
    practical value.

    It is a novelty item, and that is all.

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011