Indy sequel canned -sad day for us all...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Works for me. That series should stay retired

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Shadowspawn Guest

    :-(

    Shadowspawn, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Justin Guest

    Mature?

    Justin, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    I think that's good news. Look at what Lucas has done, driving Star Wars
    into the ground by overdoing it all. Indy has driven his course, with one
    very bad movie, one pretty good movie and one brilliant movie. What would
    be the point of doing a fourth movie featuring a geriatric Jones?

    If this news is true, I'm glad Spielberg/Lucas/Ford/whoever came to their
    senses. Your mileage may vary, but I'm one of those people who thinks that
    some movies simply don't need and shouldn't have sequels. (And I'm damned
    glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 17, 2004
  5. And I'm damned
    however, there was a sequel to E.T. a little bit after the first movie was
    released. (the original version).

    I don't remember if the sequel said it was approved by Speilberg or not, but
    there was a sequel.

    It was just in printed book format instead of movie format.

    I do seem to remember the book saying it was the sequel to E.T.

    And it was approved by the same movie company that released the original E.T.
    movie.

    Waterperson77, Feb 17, 2004
  6. As his last "Okay, this is *really* it this time!...One LAST sure-fire
    script before we can it!" attempt, George thought a Frank Darabont
    script would be just the thing--
    It's just too bad nobody more familiar with Darabont had mentioned that
    little...you know...M-word to to Lucas *before* he'd gotten the script?

    Derek Janssen (a majestic endeavour)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:08:12 -0800]:
    Heh. Well, since George is going in and making even the more mature
    episodes of Star Wars less and less mature....

    Justin, Feb 18, 2004
  8. "Majestic"...As in, "Ear-bendingly corny Jim Carrey flops".
    (Now, DON'T tell me you've forgotten?)

    George was apparently still "Shawshank"-blinded (hey, there are a few
    sad cases left), and apparently thought that the director of "Sand
    Pirates of the Sahara" [the fictitious B-movie from "Majestic"] would be
    just the experienced name-screenwriter to tackle a colorfully nostalgic
    Indy sequel--
    Unfortunately, to get it, he'd also have to take the Darabont who'd
    handled the REST of "The Majestic" along with it...And ya gets what ya
    pay for.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2004
  9. Hitman of Las Vegas

    jayembee Guest

    Or perhaps it was that he liked the work that Darabont did on THE
    YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Or Close Encounters of the Third Kind. For a few years in the mid 80's,
    there was talk of a sequal dealing with the Roy Neary character being
    returned to Earth (if you go by the logical theory that an Alien/Human
    swap was what happened at the end of the 1st movie).

    T.B.

    Thomas Bell, Feb 18, 2004
  11. Hitman of Las Vegas

    jayembee Guest

    So am I. The original was bad enough.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 18, 2004
  12. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    No there wasn't.
    I'm talking about movies, not books.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  13. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Right, that too. Spielberg, of course, was under great pressure to do a
    sequel for E.T. (and probably CE3K, among others of his films), and
    consistently refused. He knew that E.T. stood on its own and told a
    complete story, and any followup could only serve to diminish the original.

    I didn't like that he ended up revisiting E.T. for some Lucasian changes,
    but even there, he seemed to understand it was just a gimmick, and he paid
    respect to his original film by releasing it intact to DVD (so intact that
    it was even more complete than previous video versions, all of which had
    minor alterations, exactly replicating the theatrical presentation). I'm at
    a loss to explain why Lucas doesn't feel obligated to do the same thing...

    (Beating the "but it's his film" critics to the punch: pop in your Star
    Wars laserdisc or VHS tape and go all the way to the end credits. Watch
    them all, and then tell me it's "his" film. Does anyone think John Dykstra
    is happy that most of his brilliant Death Star dogfighting work -
    award-winning sfx revolutionary for their time - is chopped out of the
    Special Edition? There are hundreds of similar examples. The point being,
    filmmaking is a collaborative art, and the SEs disrespect the hundreds of
    artists who *helped* George Lucas bring his vision to life on film, without
    whom he NEVER could have done it. Ok, tangent over.)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  14. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha!

    So, do you guys ever discuss DVDs and films without disrespecting each
    others' tastes? Just curious.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  15. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Personally, I'm glad. This was the one franchise cash-in that I was most
    dreading.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 18, 2004
  16. Hitman of Las Vegas

    rwright Guest

    This could be a good thing. I don't think Lucas's STAR WARS prequels have
    done much for the original three flicks! Let's face it, Lucas is a hasbeen.

    rwright, Feb 18, 2004
  17. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Waterperson77, says...
    You sure this was a book, and not something you saw on Canadian cable on
    your 2.35 aspect ratio tv?

    Mark Spatny, Feb 18, 2004
  18. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    I knew it! This is the same guy, isn't it? But he's changed his ID. Sorry
    to be behind the times here, but I thought I recognized him by his rambling
    style.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  19. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Justin Guest

    Yes. Yes he is.

    Justin, Feb 18, 2004
  20. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Peter Briggs Guest

    I feel bad for Darabont. This is the SECOND time this has happened to
    him by Lucas. Anyone remember that he was all set to write "Phantom
    Menace", and Lucas decided to take that on by himself at the last
    minute?

    Peter Briggs, Feb 18, 2004