    computer. I could use a USB 2.0 port but I have not seen any video cards
    supporting that particular format. Any ideas?

    Farmer John

    fudge, Jul 29, 2006

  2. fudge

    Jimchip Guest

    Get a PCI video card, ATi or Nvidia. There are inexpensive, dual-port
    versions so you can run both monitors off the new card which could
    easily be better than the one you have. If you have a third monitor
    around then plug that into your old card and have three, just for kicks.
    3 is overkill for what I do but I will not go back to just one monitor.

    Dual Head is the only way to go, IMO.

    Jimchip, Jul 29, 2006

  3. fudge

    Jerry G. Guest

    First see that if in your BIOS settings, you can disable the DELL
    internal display card that is on the mother board. If so, you can get a
    dual head display card with all the options that can fit in a PCI slot
    if you don't have an AGP slot. Using a PCI card will be slower.

    There are several drawbacks with some computers. Make sure you check
    that the card will mechanically fit in to the computer. Some DELL modes
    have a low profile case, and some of the cards will not mechanically
    fit. The other thing to check is the power consumption of the card. The
    DELL computers tend to have just the right size power supply. Another
    thing to investigate, is if the new card you choose will be compatible
    with the DELL hardware and BIOS firmware. There may also be some
    compatibility issues with the drivers when used in your computer.

    The best solution is to build up a good quality computer by selecting
    the hardware that you want from start to finish, rather than buying a
    name brand. This way, you can pick and choose everything that you are
    going to put in to the computer to have the optimum performance. With
    most of the name brand computers you are really locked in to their
    support, and their restrictions.

    I was working in a place where they had a lot of name brand desktop
    computers in their offices. There were a fair number of compatibility
    issues when installing additional hardware. In the end, the company
    started to change their computers for ones that were built up, rather
    than having name brands. Since this decision was taken, there was a
    savings on the overall cost, and there were very few issues with
    hardware expansion compatibility.

    --

    Jerry G.

    My local computer store tell me I cannot use a second video card to
    provide
    two independent displays from my Dell DIMENSION 5150 computer. I had
    hoped
    to plug in a PCI based card and be able to display two web pages
    simultaneously and also provide regular TV output and component video
    for a
    HDTV display. I don't think there is an AGP slot in this particular

    Jerry G., Jul 29, 2006
  4. fudge

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The Dell 5150 has a PCI Express slot, not AGP. You want to buy a PCI Express
    add on video card with multiple outputs. Or one like my old AGP card - it
    has analog VGA, digital DVI-D, and TV composite output. I can use all three
    at the same time with different information displayed on each. I would
    expect that any nVidia card with all three outputs would still work the same
    way.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 29, 2006
  5. fudge

    fudge Guest

    Thank you all. Good information.

    F.J.

    fudge, Jul 29, 2006
  6. fudge

    doS Guest

    He has a PCI e I doubt that is slower thn AGP

    doS, Jul 29, 2006