    RichA Guest

  2. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Mr. Strat, Oct 8, 2009

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    John A., Oct 8, 2009
  4. RichA

    Rich Guest

    What Mr. Strat said. The photo world is awash in greater numbers of
    professional hacks.

    Rich, Oct 9, 2009
  5. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    They're all over the place. Most have no understanding of light and
    shadow let alone how to properly pose people.

    Mr. Strat, Oct 9, 2009
  6. RichA

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is hard to tell from the description whether the guy just had a bad
    day or some kind of equipment failure. But even then with two camera
    bodies you would expect around 40% of the shots to be plausible.

    And these days there is no excuse for serious under or over exposures.
    I'd say it was on the low side for a video and stills. And I have also
    seen some terrible "professional" wedding videos. I have taken one at a
    friends wedding for my own amusement and you could see the official
    wedding video camera guy bobbing up and down and weaving around in the
    background. His shots in the final video were disjointed and made you
    seasick watching it.

    It is also the case looking at different styles of wedding photography
    technical quality aside there are some styles that appeal more than
    others and if you choose the wrong one you could end up at the extremes
    with either something tack sharp, regimented stiff and starchy or viewed
    through inches of soft focus vaseline and fuzzy heart shaped masks.

    Makes you wonder why he didn't settle out of court. Even in the UK I
    thought most professional wedding photographers carried insurance.
    One suspects on the lowest price.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Oct 9, 2009
  7. Guess I did not miss much....

    John McWilliams, Oct 9, 2009
  8. RichA

    Charlie Groh Guest

    ....same phenomenon in my contracting work; because most people think
    they can do what I do (and, truly, most people can, it just takes them
    longer and the final product usually doesn't look "professional."
    Personally, I wouldn't dream of titling myself anything I am not, by
    my definition...heck it took 8 years before I called myself a
    carpenter! Others frame a house and are masters of the trade.
    Photography is similar in that the tools are readily available and
    it's easy to print a business card...but it only *starts* there.

    cg

    Charlie Groh, Oct 10, 2009
  9. RichA

    mianileng Guest

    Same here. I'm no pro photographer by any definition - skills,
    equipment, the way I earn a living. But I've also taken photos,
    both still and video, at weddings, funerals, birthdays, etc as a
    favour. But chopped heads, 95% bad exposure, jiggling video...
    ??!! My wife, who literally doesn't know what manual exposure is,
    could do better than that with a minute's worth of instructions.
    Like SkinnerOne, I can't help wondering if there's more to this
    than what was said.

    But even
    Did I miss something? Where are his pictures?

    mianileng, Oct 10, 2009
  10. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:
    : >
    : > And these days there is no excuse for serious under or over exposures.
    :
    : I did see a guy photograph the bride (white meringue dress)
    : and groom (black suit) back lit against the South
    : door of the church from inside.
    :
    : I hope he bracketed :)

    I don't think bracketing would have helped much. He'd just be trading between
    blown highlights and underexposed faces. I hope he was at least using fill
    flash.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 10, 2009
  11. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    They showed part of the video & some of the photos on a news report over
    here. The photographer was completely incompetent.
    That'd be my guess too.

    Bob Larter, Oct 14, 2009