    of either?

    Thnx,

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, May 24, 2006

  2. The geographical number will be charged at geographical rates.

    The 0870 number will be charged at "national" rate, which is around 8ppm
    at peak times.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=, May 24, 2006

  3. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

    It depends on what network (BT, cable etc.) what the charges are.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  4. That is about the best rate on average. Calls from a mobile will
    generally be 2-3 times this rate. OP should do his contacts a favour and
    opt for the geographical number.

    Colin Forrester, May 24, 2006
  5. John F Kappler

    David Floyd Guest

    How can you say that?

    You don't know that for sure.

    You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    David

    David Floyd, May 24, 2006
  6. John F Kappler

    M.Dexter Guest

    What Ivor said is true 0870's are charged quite a lot more and should
    be completely abolished .

    M.Dexter, May 24, 2006
  7. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I did say not included in *many* mobile packages, I did not say all.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  8. John F Kappler

    Tim Bray Guest

    Calling 0870's is a rip off. They were `national rate` many years ago,
    but since then the cost of calls has drastically reduced but 0870's are
    still expensive.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, May 24, 2006
  9. John F Kappler

    hairydog Guest

    Fairly easily
    I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.
    No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
    and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
    this does not apply.

    Choosing an 0870 number when there is a geographical alternative is
    downright daft.

    hairydog, May 24, 2006
  10. John F Kappler

    GwG Guest

    When I see people seemingly posting in defence of 0870 numbers, it makes
    me wonder if they are the people making money from them.

    GwG, May 24, 2006
  11. John F Kappler

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    With some confidence, as it happens to be true.
    He clearly does.
    It is a fact. The vast majority of mobile phone bundles do not include
    08xx. You cannot dispute that.

    Jon, May 24, 2006
  12. John F Kappler

    M.Dexter Guest

    No one in their right mind should be defending the use of 0870's
    unless they are pocketing earnings from such numbers .

    M.Dexter, May 24, 2006
  13. John F Kappler

    M.Dexter Guest

    I just do not know why some pople have to be so picky about these
    things hell someone only needs to spell a word wrong and some people
    start throwing the toys out of the pram.

    M.Dexter, May 24, 2006
  14. Thank you all for your replies - didn't mean to start a fight!

    Geographic it will be then!

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, May 25, 2006
  15. John F Kappler

    David Floyd Guest

    My apologies

    David

    David Floyd, May 25, 2006
  16. John F Kappler

    David Floyd Guest

    That is quite correct as I and my family have O2 packages which include
    0870. I DO NOT condone the use of 0870 and never ring them, even using
    my O2 facility (unless it is absolutely necessary and I haven't found an
    alternative, and that goes for 0845 too)

    David Floyd, May 25, 2006