    and company on one line and leave out the blank line, i.e.:
    That would bring it within the 4-line limit.

    Just my EUR 0.02, especially since I (normally) don't use any sig.

    Frank Slootweg, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Doug Fox

    Alan Connor Guest

    Why mine in particular? Of all of the variations I am aware of, it is
    easiest on the person trying to contact me (they don't have to re-send
    their mail) and sends out the fewest CRs...

    ??

    Well....*most* of them keep repeating the same questions, based
    upon misconceptions about modern CR systems, over-and-over.

    So they are either idiots or someone very desperate to discredit
    these systems, and since spammers can't beat them, it is more
    than logical to assume they are spammers: Idiots can't operate
    computers...
    I've been getting better at that, as I'm sure you've noticed.
    It is good advice, and I *am* trying to follow it.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Doug Fox

    Don Kelloway Guest

    I am not opposed to listening to other persons suggestions, barring of
    course that they're not delivered with a sledgehammer. In light of your
    suggestion and the manner in which it was offered, I would like to say
    "Thank you".

    Don Kelloway, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Well, I think I'll take Don's "Thank you" and ignore

    Frank Slootweg, May 2, 2004
  5. [Added "[OT]" in the interest of Mr. Watt's (physical) health.]

    Sorry. Bad wording on my side. I meant that while we also discuss CR
    systems in general, most discussion is about your system. So most
    disagreement is about your system, not because it is worse, but because
    it is the one which is discussed the most.
    If you think you have answered the/their questions and feel that they
    are repeating them, it is best just to ignore them, but that is of
    course easier said than done.
    Yes, c.m.m has become much more quiet. Thanks.
    Great! I think it is a great accomplishment, on all sides, if a
    'flamewar' results in some kind of peace and even mutual respect.
    Flaming is easy (as another part of this thread shows! :)). Having a
    respectful discussion is much harder. Thanks again.

    BTW, we should probably stop bothering these groups. Moving things to
    c.m.m will probably just re-ignite the flames. So let's just enjoy the
    peace.

    Frank Slootweg, May 2, 2004
  6. Doug Fox

    Alan Connor Guest

    Yeh. Couldn't lose his mental health, could he? That's obviously on
    vacation...

    Roger that, Frank. Later.

    AC

    Alan Connor, May 2, 2004
  7. Doug Fox

    Jim Watt Guest

    Please also take my advice, if all you have to worry
    about is signatures you have little else in life to consider.

    Jim Watt, May 2, 2004
  8. Doug Fox

    Alan Connor Guest

    It's the well-being of the Usenet that's the real issue.

    Do you have any idea how many businesses/corporations would give their left
    testicle to advertise on the Usnet?

    Large sigs, it can be argued, are advertisements, (they often ARE commercial
    ads for small IT businesses, among others).

    What if they went to the supreme court and argued that the Usenet was obviously
    a public medium and that ads were already permitted; why then shouldn't they be
    able to? A lot of newsservers could be offered a LOT of money to go along with
    the idea...

    Their subscribers would get a discount, of course, just like for newspapers and
    magazines, etc.

    Do you want a dancing monkey singing a jingle in 256 colors at the bottom of
    every post, using up massive amounts of bandwidth, even if you filter them out?

    Or maybe at the top or on the sides? Or all three?

    Windows users could easily be forced to put up with these ads, and the same for
    mac and the commercial linux distros.

    Thousands of newsgroups would have to be dropped to make room for the ads and
    bandwidth they'd require.

    If he can have 5 lines, why can't I have 6? He's advertising his internet
    security business or mailserver or on-line retail business, why can't I
    promote the corporation I work for during the day?

    If ads were allowed, which need more than the conservative 4-line ascii sig
    boundaries to be effective, then you'd have corporations and businesses
    Buying applications that simulated intelligent responses to threads on the
    Usenet by accessing the Archives....

    If Joe over there can advertise his computer security business or his favorite
    non-profit org, why can't Susan over there advertise the corporation she works
    for during the day?

    The line has been drawn, and it stays where it is.

    If you have any sense, you'll join us, not fight us.

    AC

    Alan Connor, May 2, 2004
  9. Doug Fox

    Jim Watt Guest

    BOLLOCKS
    =========

    Its all about dickheads who lack a life and clutter up
    servers (like mine) with rubbish

    Get a life or better piss off and desist from OFF TOPIC
    messages - signatures have nothing to do with security.

    Jim Watt, May 2, 2004
  10. I think you need a new mind-reader. The one you have is apparently
    broken.

    Frank Slootweg, May 3, 2004