Inbox and Sent Items - meassges all dissappear - FIX

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nemo, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Just had this happen.

    Outlook Excess (OE5) managed to crash. Not unusual. When I re-launched it
    said it was repairing the Folders File and then crashed again!

    I rebooted the PC, re-launched OE again which took ages to appear, and when
    it did both the Inbox and Sent Items were empty. Disaster.

    I looked at the Message Store folder in Details View and both these files
    had been duplicated, giving

    Inbox.dbx and Inbox (1).dbx.

    Sent Items.dbx and Sent Items (1).dbx.

    From the file size it was obvious that the files with (1) were the new,
    empty ones.

    (Although they're shown as folders in OE, they're actually *.dbx files)

    The fix turned out to be simple - and apologies to anyone who already know
    this. There must be plenty of people who don't.

    I closed OE, deleted

    Inbox (1).dbx
    Sent Items (1).dbx

    and renamed the original

    Inbox.dbx and
    Sent Items.dbx

    Inbox (1).dbx
    Sent Items (1).dbx

    - and that did the trick. OE recognised these and the messages were
    back!!

    Big relief all round.

    Software straight from the Gates of Hell!

    Nemo

    nemo, Nov 21, 2004

  2. nemo

    nemo Guest

    I've also just discovered that the unsubscribed newsgroups have disappeared
    from the lists and I've had to reset the lists for all newsgroup servers.

    Nemo

    nemo, Nov 21, 2004

  3. nemo

    pcbutts1 Guest

    This is not a Gates problem, it's a user error problem. Bill Gates didn't
    hose your system, he never sat down in front of it and messed with it, you
    did. The correct version of OE you should be using is OE6 not 5. Don't
    complain and start blaming other people because you refuse to use the latest
    version.

    pcbutts1, Nov 21, 2004
  4. nemo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    heh heh...I agree...blaming MS for adware/spyware/virus/user error/hardware
    error/etc. just isn't reasonable. (Did I forget to put "stupid users" in
    that list?)

    But on the other hand, he may be running an old enough OS that version 5
    *is* the latest available update. I don't believe IE6/OE6 run on W95.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 21, 2004
  5. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Hello Mr. Gates' one and only friend! :eek:)

    Vay iz mir nisht!

    nemo, Nov 22, 2004
  6. nemo

    nemo Guest

    It's OE5 running on WIN98SE on a Dell Dimension XPS H266 - a nice old
    antique!.

    The worst it's done up to now is the odd freeze when double clicking a
    subject line to open the message in a new window.

    And BTW, how does a crash happening out of the blue make one a 'stupid
    user'?

    I'd have thought having successfully fixed the problem caused by the crash
    would have proved otherwise. A stupid used would not have investigated the
    problem, applied logic to it and fixed it. A stupid user would have taken
    his PC in for repair and paid through the nose!

    Do either of you gentlemen earn your crust repairing PCs, by any chance? -
    or work for MS? ;o)

    I've repaired my monitor twice, numerous TV sets - taking all necessary
    precautions with the EHT of course before you seize on that! And I've
    repaired radios, stereos, amateur radio gear etc., and built and designed my
    own security system from component level.

    And before the Far Eastern market collapsed I worked for fourteen years
    building, calibrating and servicing sophisticated electronic test
    instruments used in the civil engineering industry. I suppose in your eyes
    that makes me even more stupid. If it does - see an optician!

    Nemo

    PS: And why not blame Bill Gates? It's fun! And he's rich and ugly enough
    to stand it! :eek:)

    PPS: Betcha they'll use the "Methinks thou dost protest too much" ploy now!
    Flaming idiots!

    nemo, Nov 22, 2004
  7. nemo

    nemo Guest

    nemo, Nov 22, 2004
  8. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Here's a sensible reply.

    Look and learn . . .

    Nah, software straight from the Gates of Bill, via Finchley and change at
    Neasden!

    nemo, Nov 22, 2004
  9. nemo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Oh no - the "stupid user" wasn't pointed at you...it was merely part of the
    list of things that *can* go wrong that are frequent causes for Microsoft
    bashing. I'm truly sorry you felt it was meant for you.

    | It's OE5 running on WIN98SE on a Dell Dimension XPS H266 - a nice old
    | antique!.
    |
    | The worst it's done up to now is the odd freeze when double clicking a
    | subject line to open the message in a new window.
    |
    | And BTW, how does a crash happening out of the blue make one a 'stupid
    | user'?
    |
    | I'd have thought having successfully fixed the problem caused by the crash
    | would have proved otherwise. A stupid used would not have investigated the
    | problem, applied logic to it and fixed it. A stupid user would have taken
    | his PC in for repair and paid through the nose!
    |
    | Do either of you gentlemen earn your crust repairing PCs, by any chance? -
    | or work for MS? ;o)
    |
    | I've repaired my monitor twice, numerous TV sets - taking all necessary
    | precautions with the EHT of course before you seize on that! And I've
    | repaired radios, stereos, amateur radio gear etc., and built and designed
    my
    | own security system from component level.
    |
    | And before the Far Eastern market collapsed I worked for fourteen years
    | building, calibrating and servicing sophisticated electronic test
    | instruments used in the civil engineering industry. I suppose in your eyes
    | that makes me even more stupid. If it does - see an optician!
    |
    | Nemo
    |
    | PS: And why not blame Bill Gates? It's fun! And he's rich and ugly enough
    | to stand it! :eek:)
    |
    | PPS: Betcha they'll use the "Methinks thou dost protest too much" ploy
    now!
    | Flaming idiots!
    |

    | | > heh heh...I agree...blaming MS for adware/spyware/virus/user
    | error/hardware
    | > error/etc. just isn't reasonable. (Did I forget to put "stupid users" in
    | > that list?)
    | >
    | > But on the other hand, he may be running an old enough OS that version 5
    | > *is* the latest available update. I don't believe IE6/OE6 run on W95.

    | didn't
    | > | hose your system, he never sat down in front of it and messed with it,
    | you
    | > | did. The correct version of OE you should be using is OE6 not 5. Don't
    | > | complain and start blaming other people because you refuse to use the
    | > latest
    | > | version.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | The best live web video on the internet
    | http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    | > | Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    | > it

    | > files

    | new,

    | files)

    | > know

    | > were

    | > |
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  10. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Thank you!

    Praps a little more care in avoiding ambiguity is called for.
    Nemo.

    nemo, Nov 23, 2004
  11. nemo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Point taken <g>

    | Thank you!
    |
    | Praps a little more care in avoiding ambiguity is called for.
    | Nemo.
    |
    | | > Oh no - the "stupid user" wasn't pointed at you...it was merely part of
    | the
    | > list of things that *can* go wrong that are frequent causes for
    Microsoft
    | > bashing. I'm truly sorry you felt it was meant for you.

    | > | antique!.
    | > |
    | > | The worst it's done up to now is the odd freeze when double clicking a
    | > | subject line to open the message in a new window.
    | > |
    | > | And BTW, how does a crash happening out of the blue make one a 'stupid
    | > | user'?
    | > |
    | > | I'd have thought having successfully fixed the problem caused by the
    | crash
    | > | would have proved otherwise. A stupid used would not have investigated
    | the
    | > | problem, applied logic to it and fixed it. A stupid user would have
    | taken
    | > | his PC in for repair and paid through the nose!
    | > |
    | > | Do either of you gentlemen earn your crust repairing PCs, by any
    | chance? -
    | > | or work for MS? ;o)
    | > |
    | > | I've repaired my monitor twice, numerous TV sets - taking all
    necessary
    | > | precautions with the EHT of course before you seize on that! And I've
    | > | repaired radios, stereos, amateur radio gear etc., and built and
    | designed
    | > my
    | > | own security system from component level.
    | > |
    | > | And before the Far Eastern market collapsed I worked for fourteen
    years
    | > | building, calibrating and servicing sophisticated electronic test
    | > | instruments used in the civil engineering industry. I suppose in your
    | eyes
    | > | that makes me even more stupid. If it does - see an optician!
    | > |
    | > | Nemo
    | > |
    | > | PS: And why not blame Bill Gates? It's fun! And he's rich and ugly
    | enough
    | > | to stand it! :eek:)
    | > |
    | > | PPS: Betcha they'll use the "Methinks thou dost protest too much" ploy
    | > now!
    | > | Flaming idiots!
    | > |
    | > |