In What Order Would You Start Buying Lens, starting fresh... What Lens, first, second, etc.?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bryan Fenstermacher, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. I'm in Ohio myself, Columbus to be exact.

    -Bryan

    Bryan Fenstermacher, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Tripod will be available for some stuff, but for others I will have to be
    able to hold it myself.

    I will be doing a mix of street photography, snapshot and personal portrits,
    etc. and then some sports stuff namely auto races, etc.

    I like the idea of using at least one prime lens and getting used to that
    style of shooting, and for the fact I can get an open f/ lens for not a ton
    of cash. With big open/fast zooms the L series stuff is way pricey.

    Bryan Fenstermacher, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Nothing wrong with Film.... But what makes Digital so evil? Both have their
    place and both have their pluses and minuses. Both are just tools in the
    hands of the person creating the art.

    Read the article below and check out David Burnett's web site
    (http://www.davidburnett.com/ ), he shoots with both a 4x5 Graflex Speed
    Graphic and a Canon 20D. Tell him he's another digital a**hole, he founded
    CPI (who Annie Leibovitz works for) and shooting some amazing award winning
    shots (many with film camera's), and flying all over the world to do
    photojournalism. He's open to both formats, etc. yet your not... Is it
    because your better than all the people shooting digital, including David
    Burnett?

    Or is it because you don't like the idea of non-expert people taking good
    shots, or that some non-elitist people dare want to take decent pictures, or
    is it the fact that you will cling to the last bastions of film, which will
    turn into a niche product (Kodak is dumping Super 8 Kodachrome)? I like
    film, and enjoy seeing some of the things you can do with film that you
    can't really do with digital. But it's not as easy to work with and/or
    practical for some people.

    Lastly it seems your telling me that unless I can chump up $5,000 to get
    STARTED with a Leica and a set of prime lenses, I'm an idiot... for choosing
    a path that will give me great shots, but maybe not amazing shots that will
    end up in an art gallery. That's such elitist BS, if Jimmy Hendrix would
    have had a guitar from Sears he still would have made it sound amazing.
    While the gear can be nice and make it easier and more flexible to express
    yourself, ultimately it's YOU that is the limiting factor in your pictures
    (or whatever art form you choose).

    -Bryan

    Which camera does this pro use? It depends:
    http://news.com.com/Which+camera+does+this+pro+use+It+depends/2100-1040_3-5740556.html

    Bryan Fenstermacher, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Bryan Fenstermacher

    zeitgeist Guest

    What do you shoot mostly? I mean it makes a big difference if your usual
    subject is landscapes, or portraits, or sports.

    I like to go to extremes, years ago when I had an old Nikon F, I shot most
    all of my images with either a 20mm or a 200mm. Both have a visual capture
    that is outside the normal human experience. I liked superwides so much
    that I bought a fisheye for my medium format system, and then when I went
    digital, I bought a full frame chip so I could use a super wide again.

    I believe they make a DX lens designed for the smaller sensor with a medium
    wide to short tele and that should cover your shooting nicely for vacation,
    weddings, walking around.

    Me, the first two lenses I got were the 17-35mm and the 80-200, then I got a
    28-75. the wide is my walking around lens.

    zeitgeist, Jun 15, 2005

  5. It's a very personal thing, different with each photographer. Some love a
    50mm lens while others absolutely hate it. Therefore, I'd suggest sticking
    to the flexible zoom lens alone until you have a better idea of the focal
    lengths you'll actually use most often. It may take several dozen
    (satisfying) pictures before you truly discover your own photography
    tendencies and tastes. At that point, you can spring for a few fixed focal
    length lenses to match that (or any specific needs you discover along the
    way).

    Stewart

    Dwight Stewart, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Bryan Fenstermacher

    george Guest

    Re-read please and take note of the word "usually". Of course wedding
    photographers MOSTLY work on weekends but they also tend to own what they
    need as it seldom changes. Photographers doing commercial product
    photography are the most frequent renters and they mostly work M-F when
    their clients are available to interface with (there aren't too many
    advertising emergencies). Because of this, there tends to be less
    competition to rent stuff on weekends so many rental sources will rent for
    the weekend for the the price of one weekday (or other special pricing). It
    is also easier (if not cheaper) for an amateur to rent studio space on a
    weekend for the same reasons.

    George

    george, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Bryan Fenstermacher

    UC Guest

    Annie Leibovitz? Are you kidding me? She's total trash. A talentless
    hack.

    Photographs are not and cannot be 'works of art'.
    I don't care what anyone else does or says. It's irrelevant. Digital
    looks like crap. The new Leica DMR is supposed to be really good,
    though. Of course.

    Non-experts get good shots once in a while, true, but they don't know
    why...it's all luck.
    What's practicality to do with it? The most practical thing is to hire
    a video crew to tape your whole life for you...
    Absolutely correct...but there is the used market...

    ....or maybe you can do it in your NEXT lifetime....
    .....la la la la.....I'm not listening....
    Photography is NOT an art form. What misguided bastard told you it was?
    I don't 'express myself' when I make photographs. What utter drivel. I
    take photographs because I like to and because I'm damned good at it.
    It's exactly like playing a sport. You don't play tennis to 'express
    yourself'. Express myself? ha! What utter crap!

    UC, Jun 15, 2005
  8. The only trash here appears to be in you mind.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jun 15, 2005
  9. Bryan Fenstermacher

    UC Guest

    I hated her crap from the first one of hers I saw. Total hack...

    UC, Jun 15, 2005
  10. Bryan Fenstermacher

    Alan Browne Guest

    Annie Leibovitz makes non commercial, as well as commercial photography.
    I doubt that you have seen 0.0001% of her published work, much of
    which is not for VF or other mags.

    Alan Browne, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Bryan Fenstermacher

    UC Guest

    Nonsense. I've seen her books and her 'work' for Rolling Stone (spit).
    She and RS can both go to hell...they're both crap...

    UC, Jun 15, 2005
  12. Bryan Fenstermacher

    Alan Browne Guest

    Okay then, apply for the job Mikey. Use that portfolio of yours <snort>.

    Alan Browne, Jun 15, 2005
  13. I went for the 18-55 kit lens which is quite sharp.

    Then the 100mm f2.8 macro. A very nice lens, sharp, good value and probably
    my most used, not just for macro but for general walk around. (Odd as my fav
    35mm film lens was (FD) 85mm f1.8 so I expected to find the same with the
    50mm on the 20D but it is not so.)

    Following that 50mm f1.4 (very sharp but does not have the same feel as
    85mm on full frame), and 200mm f.2.8L mk II.

    I have my hopes set on 20mm f.28 and the 10-22mm zoom if some share options
    come through - but I think my wife would rather have a new kitchen.....

    That would probably be the standard bag for now though I have hanckering for
    some long glass, MP-E 65mm, 180mm Macro, macro flash, perhaps a T&S lens. Ho
    hum.

    Lester Wareham, Jun 15, 2005
  14. "I bought the EF 100-400 L IS USM. I needed the zoom range for taking pics
    of my
    daughters rowing events."

    I can almost hear you explaining how essential this was to your wife! Good
    excuse!

    My son is into basketball - hmmm I wonder.....

    Lester Wareham, Jun 15, 2005

  15. LOL, there was no explanation necessary; it just showed up one day. Besides
    the wife shoots film and has two EOS camera's so she get use from the lens
    as well.

    Basket ball will require the speed of the 70-200 f2.8L w/ IS of course. Oh
    and you may as well add the 580ex flash as well. That's only about $2100.00
    from B&H. Go for it!!! ;-)

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jun 15, 2005
  16. Bryan Fenstermacher

    AndreyG Guest

    Consider Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX. It is cheap, bright, good built, compact and
    very good optically.

    Andrey.

    AndreyG, Jun 22, 2005
  17. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    It's also relatively small and light, being built to project a
    small image circle for a cropped sensor.

    My copy of this lens has a yellow cast. At the wide end, the lens
    hood causes notable vignetting. With those caveats, I like it a
    lot, and have been using it almost to the exclusion of anything
    else since I bought it five weeks ago.

    Ben Rosengart, Jun 22, 2005