in PS 7.0 how does one force lower-case extensions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nervous Nick, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. Nervous Nick

    Nervous Nick Guest

    I have been trying to force PS 7.0 to always use lower-case extensions
    when I save files, but this almost never works. I have to keep
    mannually selecting that "use lowercase extensions" box after the
    "save as" command.

    I have gone into the preferences and set the darned program to default
    to lowercase extensions, but only very seldom does PS cooperate, and
    then, only for mysterious reasons (usually at the last three or four
    images I have to save, of course). This is a pain in the ass, because
    sometimes I have to go through maybe a hundred files and tweak/save
    them individually. The fatigue from the wrist (mouse) work that this
    makes me do is interfering with my masturbatory recreation (kidding!).

    (I am doing clinical stuff--micrographs of biopsy tissue)

    I have encountered this problem on a handful of different computers,
    but the one thing in common is that they were all running XP Pro. I
    am really lost.

    I'd be grateful if anyone who has encountered this could point me in
    the right direction. I apologize if this is a rehashed issue.

    Thanks.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Nervous Nick

    ASAAR Guest

    On 20 Apr 2007 16:20:09 -0700, Nervous Nick wrote:

    > I have been trying to force PS 7.0 to always use lower-case extensions
    > when I save files, but this almost never works. I have to keep
    > mannually selecting that "use lowercase extensions" box after the
    > "save as" command.
    >
    > I have gone into the preferences and set the darned program to default
    > to lowercase extensions, but only very seldom does PS cooperate, and
    > then, only for mysterious reasons (usually at the last three or four
    > images I have to save, of course).

    > I have encountered this problem on a handful of different computers,
    > but the one thing in common is that they were all running XP Pro. I
    > am really lost.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone who has encountered this could point me in
    > the right direction. I apologize if this is a rehashed issue.

    I haven't heard of this problem before but with a stock, untweaked
    version of XP (MCE w/service pack 2, preinstalled) files saved by a
    newsreader and by Irfanview both honor the capitalization used. It
    would appear to be a PS bug, since the Save As options appear to be
    program-unique. Irfanview shows "Save with original date/time",
    "Show options dialog" and "Details", and the newsreader has a
    completely different set of options, but nothing about case or
    capitalization. When this problem appears is there any chance that
    you've got two or more instances of PS7 running, or an additional PS
    module resident?

    ASAAR, Apr 21, 2007

  3. Nervous Nick

    Richard H. Guest

    Nervous Nick wrote:
    > I have been trying to force PS 7.0 to always use lower-case extensions
    > when I save files, but this almost never works. I have to keep
    > mannually selecting that "use lowercase extensions" box after the
    > "save as" command.

    While I'd agree this could be irritating...

    1) Why does it matter?

    2) Open a DOS prompt.
    CD into that folder / directory.
    Type: ren *.jpg *.jpg
    This fixes all the files in that folder in one easy step.

    Richard H., Apr 21, 2007
  4. Nervous Nick

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Nervous Nick" <> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to force PS 7.0 to always use lower-case extensions
    > when I save files, but this almost never works. I have to keep
    > mannually selecting that "use lowercase extensions" box after the
    > "save as" command.

    The three fingered salute is worth a try. Start Photoshop, hold down
    ctrl-alt-shift during startup, and say yes when it asks if you want to reset
    your prefs.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/