    Guest Guest

    Is that ok to in-place upgrade from windows 2003 32 bit version to 64 bit
    version? If yes, how? If no, why? Thanks!

    Guest, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Only if you want lots of trouble when you're done!

    Rick, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Like Andre said, no upgrade path, and since it is OEM there would be no
    upgrade path except within a version.

    John Barnes, Dec 16, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 16, 2005
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Depending on the 'type' of upgrade it is possible to upgrade from say WinMe
    OEM to XP with retail versions, but not to an OEM version. In any case I
    seriously doubt that with the code base differences between 32-bit and
    64-bit, there will ever be anything but a clean install upgrade to a retail
    version (Vista, maybe) if they opt to offer it.

    John Barnes, Dec 16, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 16, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I thought I had seen a message thread circulating stating that with the New
    Release of R2 x64 you can now upgrade from 32 to 64 bit using disk 2. I have
    not been able to find the article since then and have downloaded off MSDN the
    R2 x64 trial version. Is this now possible with this release?

    Guest, Apr 6, 2006
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 6, 2006
  10. Guest

    Rick Guest

    If you have any experience with Win x64 you can easily see why an in
    place "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit is neither supported nor
    recommended. The 32-bit files are placed in different directories in
    Win x64. So, all your 32-bit program files and .DLL's would all be in
    the wrong places!

    Those that thought they knew more than Microsoft have suffered the
    consequences when they opted to try "upgrading" in place from 32-bit to
    64-bit.

    Rick, Apr 6, 2006
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Just as an information perspective, the area I had thought I saw the message
    thread was on Microsofts web site and posted by a microsoft tech. This is
    why we, in the field come to you as the source and subject matter experts
    before we try and do something that would impact a production type
    environment. If I thought I knew more than microsoft experts such as
    yourself, I would not be asking you.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2006
  12. I wish it were possible, but it isn't. x64 is always a full, fresh, install
    from 32-bit Windows. This will be true even with Vista

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 6, 2006
  13. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tim.
    You "thought" you saw it WHERE? Could you please post the exact reference
    so we can read it for ourselves. Perhaps you misinterpreted it - or perhaps
    it was just plain wrong. (Even Microsoft makes mistakes sometimes. ;^{ )
    No. You misunderstand "Microsoft Discussion Groups", which are just another
    interface to the peer-to-peer newsgroups that many of us have been using for
    years (decades?) on Usenet and here on the Microsoft public news servers
    (news://msnews.microsoft.com). In other words, we who try to help here are
    not experts, necessarily. We are just users like you, trying to help each
    other. A few of us are true experts (Charlie Russel, for example, "wrote
    the book"), but most of us (like me) are not. MVPs received the award by
    being generous with our help and advice and being right and helpful more
    often than not. Except for a few (who usually identify themselves with [MS]
    or [MSFT] in their Sig), we are NOT Microsoft employees. If you need advice
    from Microsoft, please visit the several official support sites. Much of it
    is free; some is included in the price of Windows; the rest is available for
    a fee.

    RC

    R. C. White, Apr 7, 2006
  14. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tim.

    Perhaps one more word would emphasize what Charlie said. Make that "a full,
    fresh, install SEPARATE from 32-bit Windows".

    To install 64-bit Vista for beta testing, we can boot into WinXP x64 (if we
    have that already installed) and run Vista x64 Setup from inside WinXP x64.
    But we can't run 64-bit Setup from within 32-bit WinXP (or even from inside
    32-bit Vista). Since the typical WinXP x64 installer won't have a 64-bit
    platform available already, that means that the only way to install WinXP
    x64 the first time will be to boot from the WinXP x64 CD-ROM and "clean
    install" from there.

    I expect that we will be able to "upgrade" from 32-bit WinXP to 32-bit Vista
    by the time Vista comes to market, or from WinXP x64 to Vista x64. But I
    don't expect to ever be able to "upgrade" from 32-bit anything to 64-bit
    anything - or vice versa.

    RC

    R. C. White, Apr 7, 2006
  15. I'm not even sure about an upgrade from x64 XP to x64 Vista. Given that the
    driver requirements are changing to REQUIRE signed drivers in x64 Vista,
    upgrades could be a problem. I'm expecting some sort of migration strategy,
    rather than an upgrade, personally.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 7, 2006
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 7, 2006
  17. No. You need the x64 version.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 7, 2006