    When I play a movie in my laptop, the TV's screen still shows the same
    background. If someone knows the solution, please help me.

    PC

    pan, Apr 24, 2008

  2. pan

    PeeCee Guest

    It's called extending your desktop, these may put you on the right track

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx
    http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html

    Paul

    PeeCee, Apr 24, 2008

  3. pan

    pan Guest

    Thanks for advise. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.
    In my display property, I can not check my second display's "use this
    device as the primary monitor". Rarely, I am able to check the second
    display's "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    Note: In my first display property, I can not uncheck my first
    display's "use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my
    Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    Can someone help me please.

    pan, Apr 25, 2008
  4. pan

    PeeCee Guest

    Thanks for advise. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.
    In my display property, I can not check my second display's "use this
    device as the primary monitor". Rarely, I am able to check the second
    display's "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    Note: In my first display property, I can not uncheck my first
    display's "use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my
    Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    Can someone help me please.

    No you don't want to make your TV your primary monitor and run your movie
    there.
    You need to enable extended desktop then drag whatever app you want from the
    primary to the secondary display.

    eg
    Primary display on with normal desktop and icons, extended display on and
    showing your desktop on your TV.
    Open (say) Media Player with a movie loaded, point to the title bar of
    Media Players window, left click, hold and drag to the right side of your
    primary display.
    As Media Player disappears out the right side of your primary display it
    will start to show up on the Left side of your secondary display.
    Now click the maximise button of Media Players window and it will fill the
    whole of the 'secondary' display, click play and watch your movie while you
    carry on with other tasks in on the primary monitor.

    Gotcha's
    Depending on how many options you've clicked in the display settings the
    entry / exit side may be left or right, top or bottom of your primary
    display.
    Drag your app back to the primary display before closing, otherwise if the
    secondary display is off and you open the app again you won't be able to
    find it because it's on the secondary display. (this is if you leave
    extended desktop on but turn the TV off)

    There are utilities that will extend your toolbar etc onto the secondary
    display, just google for them.

    Lastly TV's are not very good at displaying the fine text etc that a normal
    PC monitor can that is why you should only consider using it for video and
    photo display.
    Though if you happen to have a newer HD LCD TV with a PC VGA or DVI input
    socket......

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 25, 2008
  5. pan

    Barry OGrady Guest

    See http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting for more information.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Apr 25, 2008
  6. pan

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Would need to know what OS you are using.
    If Windows turn video acceleration off.
    Barry
    =====

    Barry OGrady, Apr 25, 2008
  7. pan

    tpdx

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    windows desktop but no icons or apps

    Thanks so much to Paul who posted the comments on dragging the apps to the next screen! It worked perfectly and I cannot tell you how many sites I had been to where they said it was cables or other other hardware/software issues. It seems so simple now - thanks for a great nite of watching Weeds on Netflix on the big screen :) Paul - you made my day!

    Tracey

    tpdx, Jul 23, 2008