    Normal
    Low
    High

    D.Yacovone, Jan 26, 2004

  2. In this order ---
    Low = least sharpening, possibly no sharpening
    Normal
    High

    Personally I always use the least amount of sharpening that the
    camera provides. Sharpening removes information and it might
    even ruin the picture for some purposes. I always wait until the
    printing stage until I apply the amount of sharpening I like.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jan 26, 2004

  3. D.Yacovone

    jriegle Guest

    This raises a question I been thinking about. Before the camera saves to a
    jpeg, it is usually has image with more bit depth to work with. Wouldn't it
    be better to let the camera handle the sharpening (unless you save as raw)?
    John

    jriegle, Jan 26, 2004
  4. D.Yacovone

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    I think you answered your own question.

    If you let the camera sharpen and save to jpeg, you basically
    accept degradation in quality and loss of information. To
    preserve that, let the camera save in RAW format and THEN
    you can experiment as much as you want with sharpening and
    other post-treatments ON A COPY, i.e. without destroying
    the original.

    BTW, even sophisticated DSLR's only have 3 sharpen settings,
    as opposed to the infinite number you get by combining all the
    sharpen and unsharp mask settings in PS or similar software.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Yes, not just only is the bit depth lost, but if you accept JPEG output
    instead of RAW or TIF, now are are stuck with sharpening the JPEG aritifacts
    when you post-process sharpen.

    George Preddy, Jan 27, 2004
  6. []
    John, I've thought about this and other related issues as well.

    The purist will say save RAW format and do it all afterwards. If (like
    me) you let the camera save in JPEG then you actually want a process that
    gives you the most accurate image, taking the JPEG compression and
    subsequent decompression process into account. Simply sharpening after
    the jpeg codec may just make the jpeg artefacts more visible, and a small
    amount of in-camera sharpening may be preferable.

    What seems to be not widely recognised is the wide variation both in the
    quality of the JPEG implementation between different brands (and perhaps
    between different models). There is not just one way of coding jpeg
    images, but a number of different choices in quantisation, colour
    sub-sampling etc. Of course, the "sharpening" and other adjustments
    provided by the camera differ as well. It makes it somewhat uncertain as
    to what to do for the best, and experiments are required, rather than a
    blanket "yes" or "no" answer.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 27, 2004