    leaving it on all the time?
    Thanks,
    Tom

    saxophool, Feb 1, 2007

  2. saxophool

    Ken Lucke Guest

    a) Not necessarily accurate to the amount of noise reduction you might
    want to do (sometimes more ISN'T better), and only uses its own
    algorithm, where after market noise reduction can be adjusted and can
    take many different forms.

    b) if it's anything like on the Canon, it requires the same amount of
    time to process as the original shot - so a 30 second exposure requires
    a full minute before another frame can be taken.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Feb 1, 2007

  3. saxophool

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    It's probably a 'dark frame subtraction' type of noise reduction, where
    the camera takes a black-frame picture after you've taken yours. Then
    the dark frame is subtracted from the original frame to reduce noise.
    This is for longer exposures.

    It can be a good thing, or it can be annoying, depending on what you're
    trying to do. Note that if you're out shooting really long exposures at
    night or whatever, and you don't want to wait for the camera to take the
    second long exposure to subtract, you can do this: Turn off the noise
    reduction, take one dark exposure, and then shoot away. Later, you can
    use Photoshop (or equivalent) to subtract the dark frame from the
    others. This works best if you're shooting RAW.

    Paul Mitchum, Feb 1, 2007
  4. saxophool

    C J Campbell Guest

    The only drawback is that it probably takes longer to process each shot.

    C J Campbell, Feb 1, 2007
  5. saxophool

    saxophool Guest

    Thanks to all for your responses. I'm a novice at Photoshop as well
    so I probably won't be using it in the way suggested right away.
    Sounds like it's not going to make much difference off or on for
    daytime shots but will improve night shots with the downside of a
    longer processing time. I move pretty slow at night so that's not
    really a downside for me. If I missed something, please correct.
    Thanks again,
    Tom

    saxophool, Feb 2, 2007