In an outsourced nation....

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Jorge L., Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Jorge L.

    Jorge L. Guest

    ....Gee, and I was thinking to change careers. I am
    actually employed by a very small construction firm as
    its project manager, and I am just 3 classes away to get
    my AS Degree in CIS and planning to get my 1st MS
    Certificate this year. What are my chances then? I have
    never worked in the IT industry. All I know is about
    construction [more that 4 years of experience] but I am
    kind of tired of it. That is why I decided to go to
    school to get my degree. I know is not a BS degree but I
    think that with an AS Degree in CIS and a couple of
    certifications I can get me an IT job. It seems that this
    is not going to be the case. Any suggestions? Have I
    wasted my time? Please advise.

    Best regards,

    Jorge L.
    Queens, NYC
    KLGA

    Jorge L., Apr 11, 2004

  2. Jorge L.

    DalePres Guest

    Jorge,

    I think that if you're sharp, hard working, and can sell yourself, you have
    great opportunities ahead of you in IT. What you might want to do is to
    focus your job search in IT with construction related industries. That way
    your knowledge of the business needs, combined with great IT skills, even if
    newly acquired, will be just what they need.

    You might consider getting an IT project management certification such as
    the CompTIA IT Project + certification at
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/itproject/default.asp to go along with
    your Microsoft certifications.

    While the market is flooded numerically, there's always room for top
    performers, whether newly certified or with years of experience.

    Good luck to you!

    Dale

    DalePres, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Jorge L.

    Guest Guest

    Dale,

    Thank you very much for your quick and valuable reply. I
    had no idea that such certification existed. Though I am
    pretty sure the option you've suggested is the best for
    me, I am going to continue searching for others.
    Currently I am learning [self-study] the latest version
    of MSProject and I am planning to implement it in my
    incoming projects this season. Again, thank you very
    much, you gave a new light and I appreciate it.

    Jorge L.
    Queen, NYC
    KLGA

    Guest, Apr 12, 2004