    I suspect not, but is there any official word on this from Symantec?

    thanx
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Gravel Rash Guest

    Provided your using the first PC as a gateway using Internet Connection
    Sharing or similar software, then no, you need not install firewall software
    on any PC except the one directly connected to the net.

    P.S. That's some subject line.

    Gravel Rash, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Jimmy Dean

    rifleman Guest

    Because you obviously had given previous permission for any outgoing
    traffic from that IP address to be allowed. Otherwise why have ICS? The
    point of a firewall is NOT to prevent programs YOU have installed from
    making an outbound connection, but to prevent outsiders from making
    INBOUND connections to your network. Also, if you are making a
    connection OUT with a program YOU have installed, then should you be
    worried?

    rifleman, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Why I specified NIS in particular is that as well as being a firewall
    and blocking unwanted Internet intrusion, it offers privacy control,
    spam alert, ad blocking and parental control.

    I am 99 % sure these are only effective on the gateway PC, but I have
    had my LAN set up so long with NIS on each PC I am reluctant to
    abandon this procedure without firm guarantees I am not compromising
    my security.

    Paranoia rules!

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 9, 2003