Impressed with Canon G5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AE1M, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. AE1M

    AE1M Guest

    I own a Canon G2 and recently acquired a G5. I am greatly impressed
    by something you rarely see in consumer electronics these days. I
    like the fact that it uses the same accessories (charge cord, battery)
    and that the user interface is the same as the G2 with several very
    nice tweaks to make easier operations (the scroll wheel near the
    shutter button, the nice little "door" for the connectors, and the
    simple FUNC button to change paramters that I seem to want to twiddle
    often (resolution, etc...)

    Even the power-on button has been improved. No major changes at all,
    as a matter of fact I was able to get going and take a few pics
    without openning the new manual. (I was intimately familiar with my
    G2).

    Hats off, nicely done! It should ship with better than 32MB CF
    though, that's like getting a modern day PC with a 360KB floppy disk
    drive.

    Bob

    AE1M, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Bob,

    why did you upgrade?
    Could you give some indication as to picture quality in comparision to G2?

    Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Feb 3, 2004

  3. AE1M

    AE1M Guest

    I cant lie, I upgrade because I always want the latest and greatest,
    sorry it's an addiction.

    I wanted the extra resolution and zoom (increased focal length 102 to
    140) . Also since I take a lot of sports pictures, I wanted the higher
    shutter speed (2000 vs 1000 of the G2).

    Cant give you much picture comparison yet, I've only owned it for 4
    hours!

    When is the G6 due?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    AE1M, Feb 3, 2004
  4. AE1M

    Photo Guest

    The G6 was released last week. The G7 comes out next week...

    Photo, Feb 3, 2004
  5. AE1M

    Simon Fearby Guest

    I have heard some people say that they wanted to go back to a G2 after
    getting a G5.........

    Simon Fearby, Feb 3, 2004
  6. AE1M

    Bob Guest

    Did they give any reason? So far, this camera seems very nice. More
    comfortable than the G2 also.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    ** PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT use your REPLY **
    ** button to reply to this message. **
    ** **
    ** REPLIES--> **
    ** Remove the XXX **
    ** **

    Bob, Feb 4, 2004
  7. AE1M

    Christian Guest

    Personally I'd prefer they shipped with no card at all so I can go and buy a
    big card somewhere cheaply rather than paying for an expensive
    Canon-branded card that I'll never use!

    Christian, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Bob,

    nice of you to answer truthfully.

    Could you, in due time, follow up with an appraisal of actual picture quality
    and improvement in getting the shots?

    However, any outright lie or subtle stretching of a point that would ease the
    strain to follow your example would be greatly appreciated as I want to stick
    to my G2 for some time to come.

    Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Feb 4, 2004
  9. AE1M

    Zol. Guest

    You will then end up with thousands of people complaining that they bought a digital camera
    off the shelf and were unable to try it out or that because it doesn`t come with a single CF
    Card they won`t buy it - on the other hand you could go for the G5 + 1GB Microdrive option
    which isn`t really that much more and gives a good amount of storage space for all those
    large RAW files :)

    Another note - most photo shops/dealers will do offers on Digital Cameras + Additional
    Memory Cards and you can sometimes haggle a bit too :)

    Zol., Feb 4, 2004