    "import calibration" process in PS Elements?

    Thank you.

    skim

    skim500, May 12, 2004

  2. skim500

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: (skim500)
    Elements supports the ICM color management flow so it's probably looking at
    your images with a different working space and an inaccurate monitor profile
    (whatever your default was).

    Find the Adobe Gamma utility that comes with Elements and run it to get a basic
    monitor ICM profile, which Elements will use by default, and images should look
    better.

    Bill Hilton, May 13, 2004

  3. (skim500) wrote in
    This is probably due to the fact that Elements use the ICC profile
    embedded in the JPEG or assuming some color space if there is no
    ICC profile embedded.

    If you used Photoshop I could advice you how to fix it, but I am not
    familiar with the Elements interface. What you shall do is look for
    "Color Management" in some manu somewhere. There you can find the
    settings you are using. Unfortunately, Elements is the amateur version,
    so it is probably totally incomprehensible what the settings mean, in
    order to make it simpler :)

    In another post you were adviced to callibrate your monitor. This
    is correct if the problem is that the JPEG contains a (correct) embedded
    profile. But it is probably wrong if Elements assumes a faulty
    color space for JPEGs that lacks embedded profiles.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, May 13, 2004
  4. skim500

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Roland Karlsson
    No, it's correct advice either way regardless of whether or not the files have
    an embedded profile. Color managed apps like Elements look for a monitor
    profile (totally different animal than a working space profile embedded in an
    image) and if he never generated one it will default to whatever happens to be
    handy, which almost always looks poor.

    If you use Windoze you can check to see what profile is used as default by
    right-clicking on the open desktop and then Properties > Settings > Advanced >
    Color Management and see what's listed for 'default monitor profile'. Run
    Adobe Gamma to generate a new one, if needed.

    This has nothing at all to do with whether or not any given file has a working
    space profile embedded.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 13, 2004
  5. (Bill Hilton) wrote in
    OK, it is a good advice, but it might not cure the problem.
    It might not be the monitor profile that is the problem, but
    the default work color pace.

    If, e.g. the JPEG is stored with an sRGB color space (which
    probably the Ulead program assumes) and Elements assumes and
    automatically converts to Adobe RGB, then you have to change
    the settings somewhere in Elements.
    You are right, but ... read above.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, May 13, 2004
  6. skim500

    skim500 Guest

    Thank you very much for your responses. I followed your suggestions.
    Adobe was using its own color management. I changed the setting to
    Windows and all is well.

    FYI, it was in the Edit>Preferences dialog in PS Elements.

    Thanks again, I'm happy to get this working.

    skim

    skim500, May 13, 2004