    How can I move them into the new email folders

    Thanks in advance
    john g

    newsgroups.comcast.net, May 14, 2007

  2. newsgroups.comcast.net

    Ed Mullen Guest

    The program installation does NOT contain your email files; those reside
    in your profile. If you deleted them at the operating system level (for
    instance, using Windows Explorer) the only hope you have for recovery is:

    1. The Recycle Bin
    2. A backup

    See:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_archive.html

    If you don't have a backup strategy, start making one NOW!

    Ed Mullen, May 14, 2007

  3. newsgroups.comcast.net

    roryfan Guest

    Ed...
    I did delete an older version of Firefox (had a button to go to mail)
    because I had a later version.

    If I go in Profile in Documents & Settings ...I find the folders I had
    for mail. In the Inbox shows 359418 Kb of something ( I assumed to be
    emails).

    What is in that file if not mail?
    Thanks for your help!
    john

    roryfan, May 14, 2007
  4. newsgroups.comcast.net

    Ed Mullen Guest

    It helps to bottom-post for consistency.

    I assume you mean Thunderbird, not Firefox.

    If you found your profile files at the OS level, then you probably can
    recover the emails.

    What exactly did you do when you "inadvertently erased" your TB account?
    Step by step, please.

    Ed Mullen, May 14, 2007
  5. newsgroups.comcast.net

    roryfan Guest

    ED
    I had downloaded an add on that put a button on Firefox to click on to
    go to mail. In trying to clear some space on my hard drive, I had
    deleted an older version of Firefox thinking that the latest version
    would have all of the needed files. I'm guessing that this took away
    that button AND something involving the mail.

    Having said that...the emails are still there. I was able to mail one of
    the folders containing some old emails. They came through as one big
    file including the path of the emails and the emails themselves. That's
    the good news....they are still there. The bad news is I don't know how
    to bring the folders and emails over to my new mail setup

    thanks!
    john

    roryfan, May 15, 2007
  6. newsgroups.comcast.net

    Ed Mullen Guest

    As I said above, the emails are stored in your TB profile. Nothing you
    do in Firefox touches the TB profile. To quote from one of the pages I
    cited above:

    "Mozilla stores email messages in folders within the Mail/News program
    component. On your hard drive those folders are actually plain-text
    files in Windows and stored in your profile mail folder."

    That Inbox file you mention above is a plain-text file. It shows up in
    TB as the Inbox folder. TB processes it to show you the individual
    messeages.

    Let's try this. FIRST! Make a copy of that Inbox file. Close TB.
    Now, rename it to something else such as "InboxOld". Copy it to the new
    TB profile in the same folder as the new Inbox resides. Open TB. Do
    you see the new folder called InboxOld? Can you see the messages in it?
    If so, just copy them to whatever folder(s) you like in TB.

    And start doing regular backups of your profiles! My profiles are
    automatically backed up once every day.

    Ed Mullen, May 15, 2007
  7. newsgroups.comcast.net

    roryfan Guest

    Ed
    MANY THANKS!!! I was able to recover all of my old folders and emails.

    Is there a way to 'automatically' back up my profile?

    Thanks again!
    john

    roryfan, May 16, 2007
  8. newsgroups.comcast.net

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Get a decent backup program that will work for all of your important
    data, not just Mozilla profiles. Any good one will enable automatic
    scheduling.

    Ed Mullen, May 16, 2007