Importing Data Into Excel

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to import data into Excel from a very long web page whose URL
    ends with .cfm.

    When I printed the contents in Notepad using Tahoma 8, it ran almost 500
    pages. To say the least, I prefer not to print almost 500 pages.

    There are 4 columns on the web page, in addition to a menu of hyperlinks to
    the extreme left.

    When I right-clicked the contents to export them into Microsoft Excel, a box
    appeared with the following: The Web query returned no data. To modify the
    query, click OK, click the name of the external data range in the name box
    on the formula bar, and then click Edit Query on the External Data toolbar.

    Being very new to Excel and having a project which involves re-ordering
    data, I have no idea whatsoever what the message means or how to accomplish
    the importation of data from the web page in question.

    If there is anyone who can assist me in understanding the message and
    "walking me" through the necessary steps in being able to re-order the data,
    I would most certainly appreciate your efforts.

    Additionally, there are other web pages whose URLs end with .asp where I
    need to achieve the same objective; that is, importing the data into Excel
    in order to re-order it.

    To say the least, thanks in advance!

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 25, 2007

  2. Pages built with Cold Fusion.
    Notepad? I would certainly choose something else for printing. Almost
    anything else. How many rows long is this table of data?
    Did you first select only the contents of the table of data you want to
    copy? In other words, click and drag from the top left of the *data* to
    the lower right of the last row, release mouse, right-click on selected
    area, and select Copy. Or press Control-C instead of right-click.
    I did this with a table of data, opened OpenOffice Calc (I do not have
    Excel), and pressed Control-V and .. there it was.
    I assume once you get it into Excel you know what to do, for sorting.
    How about if you provide a URL to the page you are trying to copy from,
    or if that is proprietary, find a page somewhere with similar data and
    layout.
    ASP is just another way to generate pages (Active Server Page). Either
    ..cfm, .asp, .php or whatever would have no bearing on how you copy data
    from the resultant web page, which at that point is merely HTML for
    display by the browser.

    Which browser are you using?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    Please excuse the extended delay in replying to your post; I was trying to
    use your suggestions to achieve my objective. Unfortunately, I was
    unsuccessful.

    See below for reasons:

    :How many rows long is this table of data?
    Answer: Regarding the number of rows, they are not numbered. My best guess
    is that there are several thousand rows, though only 4 columns in which they
    appear.

    : Did you first select only the contents of the table of data you want to
    : copy? In other words, click and drag from the top left of the *data* to
    : the lower right of the last row, release mouse, right-click on selected
    : area, and select Copy. Or press Control-C instead of right-click.
    : Answer: In keeping with your instructions, I clicked and dragged from the
    top left of the wanted data (excluding the unwanted column of hyperlinks at
    the extreme left of the page) to the bottom right. I then pressed Ctrl-C and
    pasted into Excel 2002 SP3. The pasting function froze as nothing
    immediately or almost immediately appeared in Excel.
    About 55 minutes later, copied data appeared in Excel. Lines delineating
    columns did not appear and therefore, when I attempted to re-order the data,
    I was unable to do so as columns had to be identical in width. Considering
    that there were no lines and thus no separate columns, I was unable to
    proceed with re-ordering.

    When I clicked Select All in Excel and then Properties, the size of the
    spreadsheet was 17.1 MG. When I clicked Print Preview, I was startled to
    read that the spreadsheet was 1,520 pages long. Perhaps that's the reason
    that 55 minutes was necessary to paste into Excel.

    : How about if you provide a URL to the page you are trying to copy from,
    : or if that is proprietary, find a page somewhere with similar data and
    : layout.
    Answer: As much as I would appreciate very much needed assistance in
    achieving my objective, the contents of the page are proprietary. I am
    therefore not permitted to disclose its URL. Though I sought another similar
    page as an example, I was unable to find one.

    : Which browser are you using?
    Answer: I'm using IE6 SP2.

    If it's relevant, my PC is a Dell 8200, P4, 2.0 (really 1.99) GHz, 512 MB
    PC800 RDRAM.

    My greatest and most immediate task is pasting into an Excel spreadsheet and
    then re-ordering the data. The company has similar data in PDF and TXT that
    needs re-ordering as well; however, it's the .cfm page that I've been tasked
    with re-ordering ASAP.

    Any and all assistance will be certainly welcome!

    Thanks.

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    : When I clicked Select All in Excel and then Properties, the size of the
    : spreadsheet was 17.1 MG. <--- Should read "17.1 MB".

    Martin, Jul 29, 2007
  5. Martin

    Stevo Guest

    I didn't see the original posts on this but thought I could offer some
    suggestions..

    Firstly, are you able to save the webpage in question to your own local
    PC? (In IE, File | Save As will do that)

    Also, it sounds like the web page data might not be in table (rows and
    columns) form

    - rather than copy all the data at once, you might try copying in
    smaller blocks,

    - try copying the data and pasting it into a text document
    (Notepad/Wordpad) first, rather than straight into Excel. That way you
    will see the format of the data and what is seperating the coloumns (a
    space or tab, etc) and save the data file as a text document (that is
    the default for Notepad and selectable in Wordpad).

    - Once you have the text document you should be able to open it with
    Excel, at which time you should be able to nominate the seperator so the
    data comes into Excel in the four columns you want. Then save the it as
    a new Excel spreadsheet file (which will leave the raw data text file as
    it was) and work on it as you wish, including sorting it in the way you
    wish..

    Hope this helps,

    Stevo, Jul 30, 2007