Importing a .reg file in 32-bit and 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Feb 29, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I need to import a .reg file on 32-bit and 64-bit systems. The .reg
    file contains settings for a 32-bit-only program. In a 32-bit
    environment the settings are stored at "HKLM/Software/CompanyName/
    ProductName", but on a 64-bit system, the settings are stored at "HKLM/
    Software/Wow6432Node/CompanyName/ProductName".

    I understand the idea of the "Wow6432Node" registry key: 32-bit apps
    in a 64-bit environment that read and write to the "Software" key, are
    automatically redirected (behind the scenes) to the "Sofware/
    Wow6432Node" key. Unfortunately, this seems to only work when the 32-
    bit app itself accesses the registry.

    Is there a mechanism in the .reg file syntax or in the "reg add"
    command line syntax to ALWAYS treat the .reg file as if it were a 32-
    bit application accessing the registry? Currently I have 2 .reg files
    (one for each architecture), but that could get messy. I mean, just
    imagine if I accidentally imported a "Wow6432Node" on a 32-bit system.
    I have seen several scripts use the existence of this key to determine
    what the architecture is. Given, this is a horrible idea for detecting
    the architecture, but it nevertheless presents the possibility of
    corrupting the registry.

    TIA for any help,
    -Jack

    Guest, Feb 29, 2008

  2. Guest

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Launch the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer
    (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe) and run your .reg file from there.
    What I do is to run the .reg files from ZTreeWin, which happens to be a
    32-bit file manager (resembling the old DOS XTree) in order to redirect them
    to the Wow6432Node.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for replying. I should have mentioned that I can write a script
    to import the different .reg files depending on the architecture. I
    don't think there will be a more efficient way than running a script
    unless it is built in to Windows. I just don't feel like writing a
    script (imho, I shouldn't have to). Thanks though, I will have to
    check out ZTreeWin!

    Pseudocode:
    IF ( Is64bit ) THEN
    import 64-bit .reg settings