Importance of gigabit switch port buffer size question

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by NuQ, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. NuQ

    NuQ Guest

    Looking into getting a Gigabit switch and GB network cards. They have
    several switches and I'm noticing differences in port buffer size.

    Usage will be accessing an MS Access database over the LAN by about 4
    users, but usually no more than 2 users are using the DB simultaneously.

    There is a Netgear I was looking at but the port buffer size is 32bytes.
    Another just says 1MB buffer memory. I assume the 1MB means total
    memory and not per port?

    NETGEAR GS608 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch (8 port)
    Buffer memory: 1MB

    ===============================

    NETGEAR GS108 10/100/1000Mbps Copper Gigabit Switch (8 port)
    Buffer memory: 32Kbytes per port

    ZyXEL GS-108 10/100/1000Mbps 8 Port Gigabit Workgroup Switch
    (8 port)
    Buffer memory: 256KB

    For my purposes, how much of a difference will the port buffer size make
    performance wise? Is there a recommended minimum you would not go under?

    Any advice or recommendations in this area would be appreciated! Thank you!

    NuQ, Jun 15, 2005