    Can someone explain to me the benifits of usiing imap over pop in outlook
    express I currently check my googlemail and gmx mail via pop in outlook
    express.

    soylentgreen, Jan 10, 2008

  2. soylentgreen

    Evan Platt Guest

    IMAP allows you to have folders, and allows these folders to be
    synchronized on any computer at any location with any e-mail client.
    So you can see all your messages at work, home, etc.

    With POP you can keep your messages on the server also, but IMAP
    allows folders among other things.

    Keep in mind most mail providers give you a set amount of 'space' for
    e-mail, so if you have a large number of messages, you may run out of
    space.

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP for a good definition and
    advantages of IMAP over pop.

    Evan Platt, Jan 11, 2008

  3. soylentgreen

    Mike Easter Guest

    You should start by reading how gmail describes its imap vs pop
    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75725&topic=13294
    What is IMAP? -- What's the difference between IMAP and POP? -- Unlike
    POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your web Gmail and your
    email client(s). -- In addition, IMAP provides a better method to access
    your mail from multiple devices. -- If you're trying to decide between
    using POP and using IMAP with your Gmail account, we recommend IMAP.

    Mike Easter, Jan 11, 2008
  4. soylentgreen

    Werg Guest

    I saw that Mike and I didn't understand it. I have used OE for all my gmail
    accounts as POP. I am now having to transfer them to MS Outlook if I want to
    access them via my new toy, a PDA. I have never used MS Outlook before as I
    have OE set up to take five accounts. Should I now use MS Outlook for the
    five accounts and have Imap? Another problem is I only have MS Outlook on my
    desktop and I cannot find a free download for my laptop.
    pete

    Werg, Jan 11, 2008