    others have no problem with them as embedded. Are there any rules concerning
    settings for the rendering of these types of images so there is some
    consistency to it all?

    Bob H, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Bob H

    Mara Guest

    Right now, it's a very, *very* bad idea to be sending or opening pictures in
    e-mail. You would be well advised to:

    1. Stop opening them;
    2. Stop sending them.

    No matter where they're from.

    Mara, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Bob H

    John Inzer Guest

    ====================================
    Sending a message this way is accomplished
    by opening a new OE message and going to...
    Format / Rich Text (HTML)...

    This will open a new tool bar that allows you to
    insert images in the body of the message. It's
    a bad idea these days with all the virus issues
    we have to deal with.

    The best / safest method is to read / send all
    messages in Plain Text. And if images have
    to be sent attach them. Or better yet...post them
    on a web site and send your recipient a link.

    There are many free sites where images can
    be uploaded.

    Guide to online photo albums:
    http://tinyurl.com/3x3a
    (bypass all the questions by clicking
    the "Show Me The Sites" button)
    ====================================
    ====================================
    There is no consistency because people have
    different mail programs and use different settings.

    Some OE users have a problem receiving images /
    attachments because of their security settings.
    Open OE and go to...Tools / Options / Security tab...
    There are two boxes that may be checked:

    "Do not allow attachments to be saved or
    opened that could potentially be a virus"

    "Block images and other external content
    in HTML mail"

    John Inzer, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    --
    If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
    don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.

    If they are embedded you cannot help but open them.

    Bob H, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    There is a problem with using that method which is completely separate
    from the risks associated with html mail opening.

    When you open a mail in OE with text and embedded pictures not attached,
    you are opening an html mail and using your browser engine's rendering
    functions to render the text and pictures. How insecure that is depends
    on your knowledge about how to secure your browser and your mailuser
    agent -- but the default configuration is very very very insecure.

    Then, when you forward that message, how it gets forwarded also depends
    upon how your agent is configured -- but the problem is just beginning.
    When you forward an html message, what happens to that message when it
    arrives as the recipient's mailuser agent is entirely dependent upon how
    your html mail is constructed and how their agent is configured to
    render the html mail.

    Unless you know exactly what kind of an agent another recipient is
    using, and how that agent is integrated with an html rendering engine
    such as a browser, and how that browser is configured to be rendering --
    you shouldn't be sending the pictures like that.
    That is the kind of trouble you can have when you try to send the
    pictures the way you did. There are other potential problems as well.
    No. The best way is to not do it like that.

    The best way for you to send the pictures you are describing here to
    your friends is to save the pictures from the original mail and then
    attach them to a plaintext message. The best way for your friend to
    send mails to a large group is to either attach them to a plaintext
    message, or even better to configure a webpage which contains the
    content he wants, and to email the link to his friends.

    Mike Easter, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bob H wrote:

    <end Mara's cite>

    <Bob's remark 'rescued' from being underneath an uncited and untrimmed
    sig delimitor>
    <It is really hard to carry on a conversation here, but we'll get to
    that later>

    The business about how to 'extract' the pics embedded in an html email
    without opening the email with a mailuser agent which is integrated with
    a browser for rendering the html and the graphics is a little bit
    advanced for this discussion -- but I do it all the time.

    Your OE can access the raw html in the message source. That raw html
    has the unrendered graphics usually b64 encoded which can be isolated
    and saved as a b64 file, which can be converted to the appropriate
    graphic format.

    However, I wouldn't do it that way. Because I can examine the raw html
    and determine that it is sufficiently safe to 'open' and render, I can
    choose to open and render that html mail -- but I don't have to to
    access the pix.

    Now, back to this business about citing another person's remarks.

    When you answered Mara, you should have had your OE newsreader
    configured to attribute and cite her. That configuration is in OE/
    Tools/ Options/ Send tab - news sending format at the bottom which has
    plaintext checked - has a Plaintext settings button. Click that and
    tell OE to automatically wrap the text at about 72, and also tell it to
    indent the original text with > when replying.

    Whether you do that for your mail settings are not is a separate setting
    place -- but your news should be so configured.

    There's nothing you can do in native OE about the fact that it doesn't
    trim sigs for you -- you would have to get and use OE QuoteFix to take
    care of that sig trimming deficiency.

    Mike Easter, Jan 2, 2006
  7. [wrote reply in sig]

    BOB: don't put your response in your sig. Put it in the body, before the
    sig. FFS.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 2, 2006
  8. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    What do you mean by "wrote reply in sig" ?

    Bob H, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Bob H

    DC Guest

    See this(below)? This is a sig:
    In case you missed it, that(above) was Blinky's sig (or signature).
    You are supposed to type your message *BEFORE* you sign it. Capice?

    DC, Jan 2, 2006
  10. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    Good job on fixing the quote/cite marks :)

    The problem is being caused by two factors. OE doesn't automatically
    trim sigs, and you are 'bottom posting' instead of trimming and
    contextualizing.

    First of all, OE doesn't automatically trim sigs, where a 'sig' is a
    signature which is affixed to the bottom of a poster's comments,
    typically automatically, and that signature content is set off from
    everything which came before the sig(nature) by a special little sig
    delimiter consisting of dash dash space then the EOL end of line.

    So, if you look way down at the bottom of this, my 'Mike Easter' has the
    little dash dash and then an invisible space and the invisible EOL
    effects that bring about the next line.

    Second, you may notice that I eliminated everything else which was in
    your post except what I'm replying to. That is called 'trimming and
    contextualizing' -- it positions my remarks below yours, so in that
    sense it is on the 'bottom' -- it certainly isn't at the top, before
    your remarks -- but it isn't really bottom posting because I'm simply
    putting my remarks in context. Some of them will end up near the
    'bottom' and then be followed by my signature.

    So, the solution is to trim what you aren't going to reply to, and
    always trim signatures which is everything from the little dashes down.

    The first time it happened, when you replied to Mara, Mara had a sig
    that didn't look like a sig, so some people were confused by your
    remarks going underneath a quotation by Bruce Schneider

    Mike Easter, Jan 2, 2006
  11. Bob H

    Mara Guest

    He's using OE, which explains that, and also explains his statement. Kind of
    sad, really.

    "Just another reason not to use Outhouse Express."

    Mara, Jan 2, 2006
  12. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    Been using OE for a long time and never had a problem. I have also heard
    lots of badmouthing about OE and never any specifics. I guess my net
    participation is not as sophisticated as some but would appreciate some
    specifics about just what is wrong with OE beyond Microsoft hating.
    By the way I have switched to Mozilla so that's progress. How am I
    doing?

    Bob H, Jan 2, 2006
  13. Bob H

    C. DelPlato Guest

    Make sure you have (and keep) Windows fully updated. Then make sure you
    don't have the "preview pane" in OE enabled. Also, set it (OE) to read all
    messages (both email and newsgroups) in plain text. You're done.
    Depends how one defines progress. :)

    C. DelPlato, Jan 2, 2006
  14. Bob H

    Mara Guest

    I can think of two things right off the top of my head, without even thinking
    about it; OE's automatically opening e-mail by default, and, after all these
    years, still being RFC-noncomplaint. Not to mention these:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3D42576C

    Look up. See those two dashes, with a space after them? That's what's called a
    delimiter. In a compliant client, such as mine, when you hit the reply button,
    anything below that delimiter is automatically snipped. So, we (TINW) can
    conclude two things from this:

    1. Your client, which is OE, is noncompliant, as you would not see my signature
    quoted were that not so. It also would have clipped out your own words.

    2. You still aren't replying properly.

    I could go on, but I'm going to bin you instead. Why? Because I saw where others
    also warned you that you weren't replying correctly, yet you're still doing it.
    I'm not sure why you've chosen to do that, but the fact is that you have, and
    that makes you someone who I really don't want to bother with. Sorry if that
    offends you, but that's life. :)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    <sig that should have been snipped and wasn't>

    Mara, Jan 2, 2006
  15. Bob H

    C. DelPlato Guest

    Disable the previw pane. All fixed.
    Can't be arsed to look, but it's probably some stuff about OE defaulting to
    send email in HTML. 'Tis true, but at least it doesn't default to sending
    newsgroups posts using HTML.
    Nope. But then, I have OE Quotefix installed. :)
    UNLESS s/he installs OE quotefix.
    Oh. The whole top-posting thing again? Seriously. One can fix that
    fairly quickly by installing OE Quotefix too.
    <snip>

    Nobody cares if you bin/plonk/kick/boot them. And "announcing" that you're
    doing so .... is well .... I can't even think of a word to describe how
    lame that is.

    Just shut up and do it, and try to get over yourself in the meanwhile.

    C. DelPlato, Jan 3, 2006
  16. One can also fix the top-posting thing by pressing the PageDown key
    before typing.

    It's not the newsreader; it's the mindset.

    Usenet is not email.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2006
  17. Bob H

    C. DelPlato Guest

    No doubt.
    ALL things considered, yes.
    And nor is the client used for either or both, a reflection of the
    intelligence of the user.

    But then, I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

    C. DelPlato, Jan 3, 2006
  18. Bob H

    DC Guest

    Maybe slower, for you:

    B-Y D-E-F-A-U-L-T

    Results 1 - 10 of about 548,000 for Outlook Express vulnerabilities.
    (0.45 seconds)

    And this makes *OE* compliant, how?
    Fine idea.

    *plonk*

    Whoops!

    DC, Jan 3, 2006
  19. Bob H

    C. DelPlato Guest

    Oh. I get it now. You're one of those Linux dud(ettes) with an axe to
    grind.

    Kain't nobody be smarter than you, eh? :)
    And your point was?

    <snip>

    C. DelPlato, Jan 3, 2006
  20. Bob H

    Mara Guest

    I'm not sure who this poster is. I don't recall ever having plonked him/her/it,
    or even having seen the nic before. But I've yet to see a single post by s/h/it,
    expect in replies.

    Curious.

    "The poster not being able to read for comprehension, though, seems to be a
    rather common symptom of...well, certain induhviduals of the trollish
    persuasion, iffin yous gets my meanin'."

    Mara, Jan 3, 2006