  1. swingman

    swingman Guest

    Reviews of IS make me think it's a highly desirable feature, yet it is only available on a few digital cameras. Is there some reason, other then $$$, that it's not included on many of the 10X optical zoom cameras? Can you zoom to 10X without IS and get clear pictures without a tripod? I'm trying to figure out if IS is a "must have" feature on my camera.

    swingman, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Reviews of IS make me think it's a highly desirable feature, yet it is
    only available on a few digital cameras. Is there some reason, other then
    $$$, that it's not included on many of the 10X optical zoom cameras? Can
    you zoom to 10X without IS and get clear pictures without a tripod? I'm
    trying to figure out if IS is a "must have" feature on my camera.

    I have obtained good pictures with an 8x zoom (Nikon 5700) but I take
    precautions:

    - if possible, follow the old 1/focal-length rule, so when working at
    280mm keep the exposure to 1/250s or less.

    - where possible, brace onself or the camera for support.

    Having said that, yes I think IS is attractive for both long zoom shots
    and wide-angle interior shots where exposures may be in the range 1/10s to
    1s. Whether lens-based IS (Panasonic and Canon) or camera-based IS
    (Minolta) is better I don't know. I am considering Canon S1 IS, Panasonic
    FZ10 and Konica/Minolta Z3 (but not the Minolta A2 which I have tested and
    rejected).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 14, 2004

  3. swingman

    leo Guest

    In terms of spec., Panasonic is better. You absolutiely want IS for that
    long focal length.

    leo, Jul 14, 2004
  4. swingman

    Steve West Guest

    I've been waiting for reviews of the Z3 and FZ10 cameras as they do look
    attractive. Before I replace my CP 4500, I want a silky smooth ISO 400, so
    I hope these cameras are including better electronics than the other
    offerings at these prices. As much as I like the high ISO performance of
    the DSLRs, I don't like their bulk.

    Steve

    Steve West, Jul 15, 2004
  5. swingman

    MarkH Guest

    Unfortunately many new cameras are chasing the big MPix numbers. Camera
    makers assume the consumers are basically ignorant and will buy an 8MPix
    camera over a 4MPix one, even if the sensor is too small to give a nice
    clean image from 8MPix.

    The obvious solution is to use a much larger sensor, but as you say it does
    make the camera bulky (and heavy, and expensive).

    MarkH, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Swingman,

    in my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2 the image stabilizer is visibly
    and measurably effective.

    It doesn't mean that you can zoom in to the 12x max and take a
    photo in dim light while standing free. Of course the stabilizer
    has its limits. But it allows you to take the same photo at
    something like two to four times the exposure time while still
    getting a sharp shot.

    I think IS is something wonderful, and I wouldn't buy any
    long-zoom camera without it.

    If you want to see examples, check
    http://www.michna.com/kenya2004/ and also the previous year's
    travel report. They contain a number of wildlife photos taken at
    max zoom, some at low light. I don't even have a tripod with me,
    but I do have a small bean bag (actually a pearl barley bag),
    which I sometimes use. But leaning the camera against something
    or at least leaning yourself against something makes sharp
    long-zoom shots possible with IS.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 15, 2004
  7. See my prior post - I am a fanatic with the 2100 and the S1 both with the IS.
    I used an Olympus 700 and there was no way I could hold that steady at 10X zoom.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Jul 15, 2004