Image stabilization in body, camera held by lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Ciszek, Jun 4, 2012.

  1. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    So I have taken the plunge and ordered the Olympus OM-D E-M5 through a
    local camera store. I also ordered the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom lens
    used from a highly rated dealer on Amazon (knock on wood). I got a
    chance to heft a version of this in the store; it's quite heavy. Hand-
    held shooting is going to be problematic with this monster. My
    question, is sensor-based IS able to do the job when the lens, as
    opposed to the camera, is what is being held?

    A brief polemic: I went to Mike's Camera in Boulder to see the latest
    Panasonic cameras (the new Olympus, alas, seems to be backordered
    *everywhere*) handle the big-ass lens, see how it would mount to a
    tripod, and ask questions about stuff the internet doesn't tell me.
    I then purchased the camera through the store, so that they would
    continue to be there so I *can* see and pick up hardware and ask
    questions before I buy it. Support your local brick-and-mortar camera
    store, or someday you will be buying everything sight unseen.

    I drew the line at buying the zoom lens there though--I would have
    if they delt in used gear, but they only sell new, and I have to save
    money on this folly *somewhere*.

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 4, 2012

  2. You are supposed to hold the lens with your left hand anyway.
    (If you use both hands, how do you squeeze the trigger?) So why
    shouldn't IS work there?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 4, 2012

  3. Unless I'm missing something, that's a Four Thirds lens, not a Micro
    Four Thirds. Which means you need the adapter to use in on the OM-D
    E-M5, and I think the AF gets somewhat compromised.

    On the other hand, yikes, there really *is* a 50-200/2.8-3.5 lens.
    That's spectactular, and it's *cheap*!
    Yeah, if fondling the gear is an important part of my process, then I
    need to support the places that keep fondleable gear around.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 4, 2012
  4. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    Supposedly the u4/3 cameras were meant to be usable with 4/3 lenses,
    since at first that was all that was available. I have an Olympus
    adapter, so it should "play nice" with the Olympus lens and Olympus
    camera, when it arrives.

    I went with the f/2.8 version so it would still be usable after losing
    two stops to a 2x teleconverter (also Olympus).

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 5, 2012
  5. Paul Ciszek

    Bruce Guest

    As long as you expect *glacially slow autofocus*, you won't be
    disappointed. The lens is set up for phase detect AF which Micro Four
    Thirds bodies don't have. They use contrast detect AF which, with the
    appropriate lenses, offers fast and accurate focusing.

    Using a Four Thirds lens set up for phase detect AF on a Micro Four
    Thirds body results in typical focusing speeds of one to three seconds
    in good light. However, it can take even longer than that. In poor
    light, expect it to take longer still, or not to find focus at all.

    Bruce, Jun 5, 2012
  6. I don't think it cares. I've found it to work (in Sony cameras) even
    when the source of the camera shake was the very heavy static friction
    breaking hydraulic hum of a hydraulic "cherry picker" platform I was
    standing on to get a high viewpoint, and when it's due to
    photographing from the windows of a moving vehicle.

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 8, 2012