Image database that handles multiple versions of images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Grant Robertson, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. I've spent half the afternoon researching all the different image
    database products. They all look pretty nice and many of them have the
    categorization and data export features I want. However, it seems that
    all of them treat each different version of an image file as a completely
    separate entity. As anyone who has ever edited a file and saved it to a
    different file name knows, we need a way to track all these different
    versions as a unit with references to the different versions and what is
    different about them. I don't know about you, but when I am browsing
    through my images looking for something I don't want to have to sort
    through multiple versions of almost identical images. Also, I see no
    reason why the database should be bloated with multiple copies of the
    same thumbnail and almost identical data.

    Does anyone know of an image database app that treats these multiple
    versions in a relational manner? Something that creates one main record
    for the original image with references to all the different versions that
    are derived from that original.

    P.S. Please don't just respond with the same old list of image database
    apps and suggest that I take a look at them. I have spent half the
    afternoon doing that already. Please only respond if you truly think the
    program you have in mind will actually meet this need.

    Grant Robertson, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Grant Robertson

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    I am not aware of any software that will do this. I would suggest the way to
    handle this is with variations on the filename. For example if the original
    is DSC_0312.JPG you could have variations of it as DSC_0312(1).JPG and DSC_
    0312(2).JPG etc. You may even consider storing this in a seperate directory
    so you don't need to see them when browsing your original images. Many
    programs have the ability to annotate files (I use ThumbsPlus
    <www.cerious.com>) and you could store the information about what is
    different there.

    Fuzzy Logic, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Grant Robertson

    Giles Morant Guest

    You'd probably be happiest with your own custom database, frankly. I've
    spent some time looking into this (substantially more than one afternoon)
    and I use Zoph, with some personal customisations. Zoph is free.
    You might also want to look into CVS/RCS version control systems; they may
    help you find what you want.
    This may be more complex than what you would really like, but complexity
    is the price for a custom solution. For me, it is worth it.

    Giles Morant

    Giles Morant, Apr 15, 2004
  4. I'm replying to both of you at once. I hope you don't mind.

    The file name encoding is kind of a given, at least for me. However, this
    still leaves you with multiple variations in your database. I guess I was
    looking for some kind of branching hierarchical structure where the
    original was at the root and any saved variation was a branch. Further
    modifications would result in sub-branches almost like a directory
    structure. But as I have been thinking about it I realized that there
    would be many times where I would want a thumbnail of a variation so I
    could easily choose which variation I really wanted. Especially if I am
    doing artsy stuff like posterization or charcoal sketch filters.
    Therefore I have decided that one might as well store a thumbnail for
    each version of an image.

    It looks as if, until I develop much higher level development skills (pun
    intended) I will have to settle for an off the shelf solution. While a
    properly normalized database would probably be the most efficient as far
    as hard drive space goes, I think I will have to settle for redundant
    data and an easy to use interface.

    I took a look at Zoph and it looks OK but I am not up to setting up a web
    server just to organize my images.

    Thanks for your thoughtful input. It was very refreshing.

    Grant Robertson, Apr 18, 2004