    640 X 480 VGA

    Thanks

    Matt

    mwharton, Sep 6, 2006

  2. mwharton

    tomm42 Guest

    tomm42, Sep 6, 2006

  3. mwharton

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I'm pretty sure that all digital cameras show you how many pictures
    you have taken when you're reviewing your images on the camera LCD.
    You can no longer get a digital still camera with a resolution that low.

    They're all at least 3 megapixels now (2048 x 1536) but, most will let
    you cut the quality down to 640x480 or 1024x768.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 6, 2006
  4. mwharton

    bugbear Guest

    I don't quite understand the need for the counter (which I think most cameras
    will provide BTW).

    But, with modern RAM sizes, if you cut the storage pixels down to 640x480
    you'll get more photos on the card than you can probably
    be bothered to press the shutter in a day.

    You may find that not all modern cameras will go that low ;-)

    If you're using the counter to keep track of memory
    use - I wouldn't bother!

    BugBear

    bugbear, Sep 6, 2006
  5. mwharton

    ASAAR Guest

    I have yet to see a camera that shows the number of pictures
    taken. All that I've seen so far show an estimate of the number of
    remaining pictures that can be taken given the currently selected
    image pixel size and "quality" (JPG compression). This number is,
    I'd think, more useful than the number of pictures already taken,
    since it can be used as a warning to prepare to swap the nearly full
    memory card with an empty one. It would be very annoying to try to
    take a once-in-a-lifetime shot only to have the camera report:

    "***** ERROR: NO MORE AVAILABLE MEMORY *****"

    For those with no more memory cards, if you see that the remaining
    number of shots is too low, you have enough advance warning to lower
    the resolution or increase the jpeg compression in order to be able
    to take more pictures, if you so choose. Or to buy another card. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2006
  6. All three Canons I own do this if you set the menu to start each pic
    count over, and reformat before a shoot.

    John McWilliams, Sep 6, 2006
  7. mwharton

    ASAAR Guest

    Almost all cameras can do that (including my Canon Powershots),
    but it requires several constraints that aren't all that easy to
    accept. If you delete any images, the file count can't be easily
    determined unless you can keep track of the number of deleted
    images, and it will be less than the last image number shown by the
    camera. It also is quite unreasonable for most people, as it will
    result in many duplicate image filenames as the months and years go
    by. Maybe even many duplicates on the same day if large cards
    aren't used. This is an option that should only be chosen by those
    that are completely aware of what they are doing and what the
    consequences might be. Now that I think of it, one of the reasons
    some people give for buying several small cards instead of one large
    card (the "all eggs in one basket theory") can create this duplicate
    filename problem that a single large card would avoid. At least
    avoid dupes in the near future for very fast snappers. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2006
  8. mwharton

    Jim Townsend Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    In both my Canon cameras, when you bring up the image review screen
    you see the count. If you took 10 pictures and you're looking at
    the first image you took, the screen says 1/10

    If you erase one then the display says 1/9

    Jim Townsend, Sep 6, 2006
  9. mwharton

    ASAAR Guest

    Darn. My Canon Powershots (S10 & S20) must be older than yours.
    They share the same very rudimentary display panel that shows only
    the remaining image capacity. It's nearly the same with their LCD
    displays that in either simple or detailed display modes show only
    the same number of remaining shots (estimated) but add the file
    numbers of the currently viewed image. I just checked my more
    recent Fuji S5100 to be sure, and it shows only the same image file
    number information that the Powershots display. I wonder if the
    cameras are hinting that it's time to get them a younger sibling?

    :)

    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2006
  10. mwharton

    Bill Funk Guest

    I don't think the OP was really clear as to which number had to be
    showing.
    Most any digital camera will easily show a count, such as "X of N".
    This may be what the OP needs. It will show which photo of the number
    on the card is being shown. I think this is what's wanted, and I don't
    know of any that won't do this, but I certainly don't know about all
    on the market.

    Bill Funk, Sep 7, 2006
  11. mwharton

    ASAAR Guest

    As I mentioned in another reply, 3 out of 3 of my dcams don't show
    an "X of N" count. Yours do. What we've got here is almost a Jack
    Sprat situation. With luck my next camera's numerical offerings
    won't be so lean. As I said in an earlier reply, I don't see why
    that's a particularly useful number, as it can't be used to provide
    an accurate indication of the amount of remaining memory space,
    since the size of individual images can vary quite a bit depending
    on the complexity/compressibility of each image. The OP may have a
    good reason for wanting that "X of N" count, but the only reasons I
    can come up with all are strained, forced or generally impractical.
    An example: To complete a course assignment you have to take 50
    scenic landscapes in the morning and 50 portraits in the afternoon.

    The estimate of the number of images that can be added to a card
    is much more useful and fortunately all of my cameras provide that
    information. It remains accurate even if junior, unbeknownst to
    you, shoots a 75 second video clip when you put the camera down and
    wander into the kitchen to get some fried chicken and potato salad.
    :)

    ASAAR, Sep 7, 2006
  12. mwharton

    mwharton Guest

    That sounds like it might do the job! what type of CANON camera is it
    Jim?

    If people are wondering why i need this function its because one of our
    users works in a department who go out and take hundreds of 'Passport
    Style' pictures of school children and then the email a load to a
    production company who create ID badges for them to show how old they
    are so they can prove how old the are in shops, etc...

    The person takes a huge document with them with the school kids names
    and numbers ranging from 1 - 250 for example and they need to keep a
    track of the numbers as the go along... if pressing play brings up the
    numbers that will definatly be ok for them

    If you can let me know what camera it is, i might buy it

    Thanks!

    Matt

    mwharton, Sep 7, 2006
  13. mwharton

    bugbear Guest

    My Canon a510 (quite old) does this.

    I assume (you should check) that later
    Canon 'A' series do this.

    I suspect that others may as well.

    The manufacturers do play "catch up"
    fairly strongly.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Sep 7, 2006
  14. mwharton

    Bill Funk Guest

    Right.
    Perhaps I could have said, "...and I don't know of any *currently
    marketed cameras* that won't do this..." :)
    I don't know why the OP wants that either, but it may have something
    to do with putting the photos in some sort of sequence, or it might be
    some entirely contrived circumstance.

    Bill Funk, Sep 7, 2006