Image Bank for Ghost Image Backup of new notebook?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Teffy, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Teffy

    Teffy Guest

    Do you see any reason why this wouldn't work? Have you tried it?

    I am getting a new notebook computer and would like to make a copy of
    the hard drive before I change anything on the disk. I'm thinking
    about replacing the hard drive from my Image Bank (Image Tank) with
    that of the new laptop, then connecting the IB to my PC via USB and
    copying the contents to the PC hard drive.

    I don't know if using Ghost is necessary, or if a simple copy from
    Windows would work.

    I know that USB 1.0 will make things really s-l-o-w, but I only need
    to do it once.

    Is this a good idea?

    Thanks,
    Teffy

    Teffy, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Teffy

    Ken Guest

    I just bought a notebook. I installed Ghost on its HD then imaged it
    to CD (Assuming your notebook has a burner).

    Ken

    Ken, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Teffy

    Kenwood Guest

    Which disaster recovery method do you prefer?

    1. Boot from ghosted drive (after you put it back in the laptop)
    2. Reinstall OS, reinstall apps, copy files back from IB.

    If you just make a ghost image file on the IB you'll have to make a boot
    diskette or CD that can access the USB IB.

    If you only back up once, you're only as good as that one backup.

    There are 20 ways to do this, hope you choose the method that provides you
    the least downtime in the event of a failure.

    Kenwood, Dec 18, 2003