    (apparently) not one and the same, where the company is acting on behalf of
    the customer.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Gaz

    sam1967 Guest

    you have got so manh shitty/wanky replies to this genuine query i am
    amazed.
    there defo is software which does just that.
    i have seen it in action.
    in the past i have used ghost (pre-norton) with a network boot disk
    and copied the image down over the network.
    worked fair enough but was a right pain to set up.
    since then i havent used any ghosting/cloning software but where i
    worked for a short while they used some excellent software.
    all they did was stick the cd-rom in the computer and reboot it.
    the pc then booted from the cd-rom and re-imaged the disk.
    that simple. not sure what they were using. (btw floppies should be
    considered obsolete and any practical solution should use bootable
    cd-roms).

    i just bought a copy of powerquest drive image 2002 on ebay for £6.
    i think it can do this.
    i will test it and let you know.

    sam1967, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Gaz

    Tony Guest

    This is just plain wrong. How do you think large corporations deploy
    This is true. I worked for one of the largest internet consulting firms in the world and they would
    buy hundreds of IBM THinkpads, do a complete install of Windows NT (this is back in 2000) and all of
    the software, then create a ghost image and deploy it out to the hundreds of Thinkpads. As far as I
    know, it was all legal. I believe the company paid for the licenses but they werent about to go
    through 200 installs to give to their employees to use.

    Tony

    Tony, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Gaz

    sam1967 Guest

    yep i would go for this software. get it cheap on ebay.
    this version - 2002 - only supports cd-r .
    maybe the newer version also supports dvd-r.
    it will boot from the CD and re-image your PC.
    easy peasy to setup and use.
    took under an hour to install it, create two image CDs and use them to
    re-image my test PC.
    not a floppy in sight.

    sam1967, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Gaz

    Paul Hopwood Guest

    Sorry, but you're still wrong IMHO. Microsoft Certified Partners do
    it all the time and they're not breaking the law.

    You've read one license agreement and assumed it applies across the
    board.

    Paul Hopwood, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Gaz

    J Guest

    are u saying it is illegal for anyone to make an image of an installed
    windows? or just illegal for a business to provide that to its customers?

    J, Jul 19, 2004
  7. Gaz

    J Guest

    he is not charging for the software, he is charging for his time, the disc,
    and his expertise.

    J, Jul 19, 2004
  8. Gaz

    J Guest

    I would not count on the courts working around common sense.....

    J, Jul 19, 2004
  9. Gaz

    nevje Guest

    the way around it is to sell them a copy of the software along with
    your services for doing the image ... you can subsidise the price of the
    software if you get reasonable rates for your time

    nevje, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Gaz

    jason Guest

    using software commercially for which most if not all the commercial
    ghost type software expressly does not allow.

    purchase a commercial grade license costing a fair amount more than a
    single user license or as I suggested sell the software to the end user
    who can then use it as a licensed user after it goes out of the door -
    this works well as a value added service.

    jason, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Gaz

    J Guest

    distributing norton ghost images with out licensing to do so is very
    questionable, at best, I agree, but norton ghost or it's images is not the
    issue we are discussing. We are discussing whether Microsoft allows the
    creation of images of drives where it's operating system, namely Windows XP,
    has been installed.

    J, Jul 21, 2004
  12. Gaz

    nevje Guest

    id have to say it is a method of backup and recovery and as such cannot
    be deemed to be an issue. there is a huge commercial market for image
    software and if it was a problem id have thought it would have been
    stamped on long ago.

    nevje, Jul 21, 2004