iMac won't boot with or without CD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chu-Chu, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Chu-Chu

    Chu-Chu Guest

    iMac DV SE 400 mhz (bought used recently from a repair shop)
    128 MB RAM
    OS 9.2.2 and OS X Jaguar 10.2.8
    40 GB Maxtor HD (replaced pre-installed 20 GB Seagate after iMac
    purchase)

    I was working on my iMac in the Monitors control panel (OS 9.2) and the
    desktop acted funny. I think parts of the desktop went blank, so but I
    had to restart. Then I got the blinking "?" in the colored Mac folder
    (not the gray floppy disk "?" kind). I started up from the Techtool Pro
    3 CD and ran it. It found a problem in the Volume test, but it wouldn't
    tell me exactly what. I then ran Disk First Aid from my OS 9.0 CD and I
    got a Btree and MountCheck error. I repaired them and verified again.
    The problems were there still. I repaired again. Etc.

    I booted Disk Warrior from the CD and I'm not sure exactly what it did.
    Then I tried booting from the Norton Utilities CD. Norton found two
    cross-linked files (I believe one may have been the Finder). I repaired
    them and ran Disk First Aid again to be sure. The same Btree and
    MountCheck errors.

    I then restarted without any CDs and now I'm getting the dreaded "?"
    inside the gray floppy disk. The HD is making a loud clicking noise
    every few seconds (as if it's trying to boot but can't). I tried
    starting from every bootable CD I own, but it gets to the disc's boot
    screen and says, "System error. Unimplemented trap. Please restart
    without extensions by holding down the Shift Key." I somehow doubt you
    can do that with a CD, but I tried anyway. Same thing happens.

    What can I do when I can't even boot from a CD? I can put the Seagate
    HD back in, but I really want the extra storage space of the Maxtor. Is
    this HD screwed?

    I appreciate any help.

    Chu-Chu, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Chu-Chu

    Meat-Plow Guest

    Loud clicking from the hard drive usually means a mechanical failure of
    the drive. It's not a sound you would hear if the system was trying to
    reboot.

    Meat-Plow, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Chu-Chu

    Mike Guest

    What can I do when I can't even boot from a CD? I can put the Seagate
    I hope this isn't too late... Here's what they have to say about it at
    DriveSavers.com:

    Warning: If your hard drive emits unusual noises (clicking, grinding
    or metal scraping), turn it off immediately! This symptom typically
    indicates a head crash that can destroy your data. Hard drives spin
    with extreme speed - from 7,200 to 15,000 revolutions per minute -
    therefore extensive damage can occur in a short period of time.
    Contact DriveSavers immediately, as this situation demands
    professional recovery in a Cleanroom environment.

    I'd take it to a drive repair place ... if there's a good one near
    you. If not, there's always DriveSavers and a few others.

    Mike, Nov 28, 2003