iMac question....Apple Newbie

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by miguellint, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. miguellint

    miguellint Guest

    Hi all,

    My nephew has an iMac and he wants to go wireless broadband. He knows
    nothing about computers, I know a little but nothing about Apple
    hardware.

    His iMac came fitted with "the AirPort Extreme Card" which I think is
    simply Apple's name for their wireless ethernet card. It uses 802.11g

    Apple say it's to be used in conjunction with their wireless router
    called "the AirPort Extreme Base Station".

    My question is pretty simple. Do I have to use Apple's wireless router
    base station or can I use any manufacturers gear. I'm more familiar
    with D-Link and LinkSys and, over the years, have had no problem with
    configuring them or with their reliability.

    My preference is to use the D-Link DSL-G604T cos it's an ADSL2+ modem
    PLUS a 4 port router PLUS an 802.11b/g wireless router all in one
    package.

    Whereas it seems to me "the AirPort Extreme Base Station" is simply a
    wireless router with no ethernet ports and no ADSL modem. And a retail
    price of NZ$385 as opposed to NZ$172 for the D-Link

    All advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Miguel

    miguellint, Jul 8, 2006

  2. Anything that supports the 802.11b/g protocols will work fine. I had my
    iBook working with a D-Link DI-614+ and had no problems.

    alastair.geek.nz, Jul 8, 2006

  3. miguellint

    Philip Roy Guest

    I use a US Robotics router with support for 802.11g with both my iMac
    and iBook without the need for an airport base station just fine.

    Phil

    Philip Roy, Jul 8, 2006
  4. The AirPort Extreme base station has two Ethernet ports (LAN and WAN), a
    USB port and a modem. It is expensive though, especially if you don't
    need the modem or do need more wired ports.

    The other option from Apple is the AirPort Express at about $250. It's
    very small (plugs straight into a power outlet on the wall), drops the
    modem, and adds audio output. I use one in the living room connected to
    my printer, Woosh modem and stereo.

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 8, 2006
  5. miguellint

    miguellint Guest

    Thanks all for the advice. It's what I wanted to hear :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    miguellint, Jul 8, 2006