IMA Link is flopping every 20 minutes (please help)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Forrest, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Forrest

    Forrest Guest

    Hello all, I posted a post a few days ago, but as usual noone has responded.
    I must be black balled from comp.dcom.sys.cisco. But anyways I have an IMA
    link that is failing every 20 minutes almost on the dot. You can look at my
    link to another interface and the problem follwed it. I put a loopback plug
    on the original interface and ran some tests and everything came back 100%
    ok, so I don;t think its a problem with the physical interface.

    I tried doing a sh controller atm1/1 when the link drops to get the error
    code, but the link fails and then fails back in less than a second, so I
    can't get an accurate output. But it knocks us offline and takes down our
    vpns and remote server sessions for about a minute each time.

    I have opened a TAC case, but we have yet to resolve the issue.

    I have verified the timing and everything seems to be correct.

    Any ideas please?????

    Forrest, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Forrest

    Hansang Bae Guest

    If you loop it up towards you and it doesn't fail, that pretty much
    rules out that path. Unless you mean you just looped it up right at the
    serial port. Can you not run some intrusive tests to see why the ckt is
    taking a hit every 20 minutes? Since it's so regular, have the telco on
    the line and have them monitor it.

    I've found that if things break on an accurate schdule (every 20m in
    your case), it's usually not a bug. There are exceptions like timer
    based bugs, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Forrest

    Frank Beider Guest

    Here are some ideas

    Looking at your configuration it appears that this is a two or three T-1
    IMA. Are you actually using two or three T-1s? You say that you "have an
    IMA T1 with 1 link to our ISP" How many T-1s do you have active for the
    IMA.

    Here are some commands to try

    Show controllers ATM
    Show ima interface
    show ima interface atm1/0
    show ima interface atm1/1
    show ima interface atm1/2
    show ima interface atm1/2

    Is this an IMA that goes directly to your ISPs equipment or does this IMA
    group terminate on a carriers ATM switch?

    Regards

    Frank Beider, Mar 5, 2004