    hospital stay to anyone who needs a little R&R. And wow, when you guys
    say don't open a monitor, you mean it.

    jjw

    jjw, Dec 1, 2004

  2. jjw

    Jamco Guest

    dumbass
    you know what else you shouldn't do, put a fork in an electrical
    socket...come on now, go give it a try.

    Jamco, Dec 1, 2004

  3. I opened lots of monitors (and TV's), but I am also trained in
    electronics. I still got plenty of buzzes, but none that bad that I
    required hospitalization. After awhile, they even started to
    feel...good.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 1, 2004
  4. jjw

    jjw Guest

    hehe ic well, I was just kidding, I figured I outta come up with a
    good story as to why I hadn't posted in a while, and the monitor problem
    I had coincided pretty well with when I left. And I was trying to elicit
    a response like the one I got from Jamco. Anyway, I think the only time
    I get shocked decently is when I mow the lawn. Our lawn mower doesn't
    have a cover where the spark plug connects, so if wet grass gets up
    there, and you try to move it, your whole arm vibrates.

    jjw

    jjw, Dec 2, 2004
  5. jjw

    jjw Guest

    I suppose I could get a cover for it, but I'd hate to ruin the
    experience for the next person who uses it. :)

    jjw

    jjw, Dec 3, 2004
  6. It is...the newer style of cloth upholsrty is bad for ESD. Try a
    Bounce sheet on your car seat a time or two.

    Office chairs are really bad for that also. One cold day while working
    in the TV control room, I was also assigned to change the background
    slide generator in the next room. I got up from my control room chair
    to change the slide, and got about a 1/2" arc from my finger to the
    metal keyboard case. Knocked the thing out; it rebooted while on-air.
    :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Like I said...sometimes you even get to liking it.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  8. jjw

    DB Guest

    I get zapped from my car doors sometimes.... I just figured it was
    There is also the stories of people getting in and out of their cars while
    pumping gas,and sparking off the fumes coming from the tank.

    "D"

    DB, Dec 3, 2004
  9. jjw

    DB Guest

    270 volts was my favorite, I was working on a circuit in at a project site
    in Belize when someone turned the cut off switch back on,a good case for
    using lockouts.

    "D"

    DB, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Truck bedliners and gas cans even had a very widespread warning
    circulated a few years back.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  11. It all depends on the available current as far as living or dying, but
    270 V must really hurt.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  12. jjw

    DB Guest

    Luckily I was stripping the wire so I was pulling away as it happened,but it
    wheeled me around and my arm felt like I did about 500 curls for the next
    couple of days

    "D"

    DB, Dec 4, 2004
  13. jjw

    David Hough Guest

    I've gotten a lot of 120ac shocks. But never a monitor. The first
    thing, apon removing the cover, I discharged it with a couple of long
    handled screwdrivers. But back then, you had some adjustments in the
    pots and you could degause them. And they cost money to replace.
    Plus you could get the flyback transformers.
    Now, monitors are cheaper, there is no adjustment, and you can't
    get parts. I just replace them.

    David Hough, Dec 4, 2004
  14. I am truly glad that someone can correctly spell
    upholstered/upholstery...I certainly didn't get it right. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 6, 2004