I'm about to buy a Canon ip8500 printer. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    Maybe I'm reading to much into Steves Digicam's conclusion on the
    Canon ip8500.

    Quote:
    The bottom line - if you are one of those people (like me) that just
    have to have the best then this printer is for you. The 8-color ink
    system yields awesome looking prints and the super-wide print head
    makes this the fastest letter-size inkjet photo printer on the market.
    Just remember that this printer uses 8 ink tanks and these ink tanks
    and the cost of special photo paper can certainly add up in the long
    run. If you only print photos every now and then it's probably a lot
    more cost effective to have your prints made at WalMart. However - if
    you're like me, to heck with it! I want to make my own prints
    whenever I want, I want them to be the best possible prints and I
    don't care what it costs. Not so many years ago I had thousands of
    dollars tied up in a color darkroom and it cost me a helluva lot more
    to make prints back then

    My wife tells me my existing pictures suck. This is from a woman who
    worships the ground I walk on (lucky me?). I print a few hundred
    pictures a year. I would like to stay in the that $350 or under range.

    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    Wayne, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Wayne

    S R Guest

    If the ip8500 uses the same ink and printhead as the i9900, the prints will
    be great.

    Stephen R.

    S R, Dec 6, 2005

  3. It does, and they are.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Wayne

    Bob Williams Guest

    What Printer are you using now that produces pictures that suck?
    A comparably priced Epson or one of the New H-P printers will also give
    outstanding performance.
    I recently switched from Epson to Canon because of Canon's speed and
    resistance to nozzle clogging. I really like the Canon for these reasons
    but it's hard to tell much difference in the Prints.
    They were both excellent,
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Dec 6, 2005
  5. What are you going to do if you buy the Canon and they still suck?

    mark_digital©, Dec 7, 2005
  6. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    I'm using my laptop printer hp 450.

    If the Canon sucks I'll do what I always do...cry. Then I'll dry my
    tears, pull myself together and drive back to where I bought it, throw
    it up against the wall and yell F**K.

    Wayne, Dec 8, 2005
  7. Steve's Digicam articles are rather out of touch with today's reality.
    WalMart is a poor alternative in my opinion. Find a lab that uses a Noritsu
    and decide from there if you still want to print your own.
    What you should be looking for is quality, durability and at a good price.
    Both Kodak and Olympus have great thermal ribbon type printers. Honestly,
    skip the ink. It's slow, very costly, and usually very tempermental.
    Besides, unless you have a laser printer the machine must be serviced by the
    manufacturer, which means the whole unit must be shipped out. If it's out
    of warrantee the repair will cost more than what it's worth. Take a trip to
    one of your local repair shops and they will tell you they can't get parts
    for inkjts and bubblejets becaused they are not allowed to. Funny, they
    have signs on their walls saying Authorized Repair, but that's for laser
    printers.
    I've tossed out 7 printers over 10 years. Was it worth it? At the time it
    was because service bureaus quality sucked. But when one can get 4X6 prints
    for 19 cents each and the quality is outstanding why the heck waste money?
    Print the large stuff yourself if you must. Leave the little stuff to the
    experts.

    mark_digital©, Dec 8, 2005
  8. Wayne

    Gwen Guest

    I'm bothered by the letter-sized (8.5 x 11) prints as opposed to the
    more traditional 8x10. Is it just me? Do all brands do this?

    I have a lower model (ip6000D), but it's my second Canon photo
    printer,this one is an upgrade that came with a great rebate, and I
    truly don' think I'll buy a Canon printer again. Too tempermental. The
    ink runs out too quickly in certain colors, the photo quality isn't
    great, and it takes a long time to print each photo.

    We've quite nicely found a way to network it for use from all our
    computers, though, which I am enjoying.

    Gwen, Dec 8, 2005