    looking at?

    Thanks in advance, people.

    Anton "I'm not revengeful, honest!" Gÿsen

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 27, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Richard H Guest

    I think it falls under either OFCOM (the telecommunications watchdog) or the
    part of the government the licences radio bands. It could also be covered by
    local council planning regulations. How do you know they do not have a
    licence for a transmitter of that size and power??

    Richard H, Oct 27, 2004

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Conor Guest

    FUCKING CLUELESS GIMP. How do you know its an illegal power output? Got
    a field strength meter that works at those frequencies have you?

    For your information, the longest distance for a wireless LAN
    connection using a Wireless Access Point and a network card was THIRTY
    THREE MILES.

    5 miles is nothing with a decent antenna with a good enough gain. Hell,
    I once got to Russia on a CB with 4 Watts.

    Go read up about anetennas and gain you clueless gimp.

    Conor, Oct 27, 2004
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Conor Guest

    He's a clueless moron without any idea of how transmitters work. In his
    tiny little mind, its purely power that gets range.

    Conor, Oct 27, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    David Wade Guest

    OFCOM licenses radio bands. The took over from the Radio Agency...

    David Wade, Oct 28, 2004
  6. I used to work for the said company, before they fucked me over, in the
    IT department, so I know for a fact that it is illegal because I was
    told it was, and told to keep quiet about it.

    Your name-calling is a bit out of order, Conor. Obviously it's not just
    power that gets range, but it helps. In fact, the range that the said
    mast gets is irrelevant, but the power going through it is.

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 28, 2004
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Conor Guest

    ROFLMAO...

    You wouldn't have a clue. I doubt the "informed" people who told you
    had a clue either.
    OH dear...

    Conor, Oct 28, 2004
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    mikeBNF Guest

    ok so if it is 100 times the legal power

    one 'what is the legal power anyway? - he doesn't know!
    two 'why are there no freshly microwaved birds for sale at tescos' - doesn't
    know!
    three 'is this just a personal grudge 'cause he got he bullet' - yes!

    grow up man!
    move on.

    mike

    mikeBNF, Oct 28, 2004
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Tim Auton Guest

    Go read up on the regulations you clueless gimp. Max EIRP (Equivalent
    Isotropic Radiated Power) of 100mW. So you can't use a huge
    directional transmit antenna to get round the regs. AFAIK you can use
    whatever *receive* antenna you like.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Oct 28, 2004
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Conor Guest

    ROFL...it gets better. Carry on, its funny as hell.

    Conor, Oct 28, 2004
  11. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Tx2 Guest

    Turton, you are so far up your own arse, it'll take the Thunderbird Mole
    a week to get you out!!

    Nothing but a pompous, conceited twat ... happy to give you a middle
    finger salute, should've done it a long time ago.

    *plonk*

    Tx2, Oct 28, 2004
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Conor Guest

    Someone else who obviously hasn't got a clue. Stick to PCs, they're so
    easy a trained monkey can use them.

    Conor, Oct 28, 2004
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Tim Auton Guest

    Please explain to me how I am wrong.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Oct 28, 2004
  14. I'm the one laughing at you, mate.
    Seeing as they put it up, I think they do somehow.
    Oh dear, you're wrong.

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 29, 2004
  15. I can't remember the exact power but I know it was at least 1 watt, and
    could even have been 10 watts.

    And yes "mikeBNF", I do know the legal power (thanks to Mr Auton) and I
    do have a grudge. This company twisted my words against me, went back on
    their own word, and still owe me a few hundred quid. On top of that, a
    senior member of staff physically threatened me and what did they do
    about it? Nothing. This company has unfairly tarnished my work record,
    making finding another job a nightmare in a place where there are few
    jobs, and not being entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance doesn't make
    things any easier. They fucked my life up and I haven't been able to
    forgive them, or forget about it.

    I'm just looking to hand out a bit of justice, which I believe I deserve.

    Rant over.

    Anton

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 29, 2004
  16. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Dave H. Guest

    you left out the colon, Conor, it should read...

    Conor: opinions personal, facts suspect.

    The *law* regarding unlicenced devices (i.e. no licence neccessary) defines
    the maximum E.I.R.P. [1] - adding a high-gain antenna takes you outside the
    licence conditions, fines vary up to about £10,000, usually commercial
    enterprises are at the upper end of the scale :eek:) Please don't argue or
    lecture me, Conor, I've been working with this stuff since before you were
    wet behind the ears!

    Dave H.
    (The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

    [1] Effective Isotropically Radiated Power - the power density equivalent to
    that power being fed to an imaginary antenna having uniform, spherical
    radiation pattern, far lower gain than even a 1/4 wavelength whip! Using a
    1/2 wavelength dipole, the 100mW allowable power drops to around 57mW, with
    a typical Yagi with 14 dBi gain to 4mW...
    Receive antennae are fine, and are going to improve the link distances quite
    substantially - 14 dB gain on the receive side will give a five-fold
    improvement, however alignment constraints make the kit non-portable! One
    would assume that the installaion in question is to allow roaming with a
    laptop, so it's a fair assumption that they've got excess power to an
    omnidirectional antenna - a clear breach of the regulations.

    Dave H., Oct 29, 2004
  17. If the power was upped to the transmitter, wouldn't the power from the
    laptop have to be increased at the same time? If not the laptop would be
    able to 'hear' but wouldn't be 'heard'.

    Graham Watson, Oct 29, 2004
  18. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Conor Guest

    How many years? I did a Royal Signals course back in 1984 aged 13.
    Never forget stringing up my first end fed VLF antenna. Must've been a
    couple of hundred yards in total using isolators and patch leads so you
    could select the right length for the right frequency. Being able to
    communicate with someone thousands of miles away was cool as a kid.

    P.S Best time to learn Morse Code is in the middle of the night when
    you've had no kip for a few days.

    Conor, Oct 29, 2004
  19. Dave H. wrote:

    </snip>

    Thanks for the info Dave!

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 30, 2004
  20. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Toy Guest

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    wow, one of our Heroes............gosh and blowing smoke up his own rectum
    at that. Bet you got a few tattoos and a shaved head.

    toy

    Toy, Oct 30, 2004