Illegal Music Downloaders Found to be More Valuable Than Legal Ones

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Jul 28, 2005

  2. GraB

    Kent Smith Guest

    Kent Smith, Jul 29, 2005

  3. GraB

    BTMO Guest

    So.. people who love music so much that they are willing to break the law to
    get it, buy more music than people that can't be bothered.

    And the record companies are only now figuring this out??

    Why am I not surprised...

    .... this is what happens when you let accountants run companies. Instead of
    simply counting the pennies, they try to use their bullshit theories to
    predict behaviour - based on erroneous assumptions (ie, what they think of
    as "hard data")
    Yep - me too. Because it agrees 100% with the behaviour of people I know.
    They download music - but they have *massive* record/CD collections as well.
    They like music. They are addicted to music.

    They are the record companies greatest asset - and the boneheads don't even
    realise this!

    Download stats could give the fools far more information about the
    commercial potential of a song than the "charts" ever have...

    BTMO, Jul 29, 2005
  4. GraB

    Gordon Guest

    Hooray, at last some more people have found out that "free" downlaoded
    tracks are advertising. The artists, and music companies need this. Other
    wise who knows that X has released Y and it very good, I want a copy of
    the CD. Or you think its crap, delete the file and the $30.00 is ready to
    be spent on some music you like.

    I also realise that if people do not buy the music the whole industry will
    go under. Artists are people, they need to have income to live.

    People like music, and I for one am very greatful that I can encourage
    people to make it. The record companies are another matter, would be nice
    to see them gone into history.

    At the end of the day this is only another step in the music industry
    going from We well stamp out illegal music sharing to how to fine the
    balance to max our profits.

    Gordon, Jul 29, 2005
  5. I've been trumpeting about this for years. I can actually remember when
    the music industry was screaming their heads off about reel to reel
    tapes, trying to make them illegal, or get levies imposed on the sale of
    tapes. Some research done then (we're talking the 60ies here) showed
    clearly that the people who were making recordings of their vinyl were
    the ones buing he lion share of the music, and that the taping actually
    stimulated them into buying more, rather than less.

    As you said, the suits don't seem to be able to get their tiny heads
    around that idea. Or their greed is just so strong that they can't react
    rationally. Take your pick ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 29, 2005
  6. GraB

    Shane Guest

    Im sure this post will go down like a lead zeppilin :)
    but....
    So many people Ive spoken to on the subject of downloaded music, have
    replied, they havent bought a cd from a music shop in years, why bother.
    In the blank tape case (and this went for video as well) you werent able
    to get high quality with DIY, with music downloads you can, in fact with a
    small amount of effort, with programs like audacity, you can get better,
    and the CD contains the music you want, not what the record companies
    decide you want. With movies being shared, we still have low quality
    downloads, complete with peoples heads on the screen :), or The DVD
    release, which is high quality, but at 4.7 GB just out of reach for most
    people, this will change. What saved the movie industry from video is what
    they should be pushing now, its not just what you are watching, its the
    experience of going to the movie theatre, big screens (hell thats what
    saves the embassy in welly), big sound, everything a home theatre trys to
    be, but (IMHO) still hasnt captured.

    My $0.02 :)

    Shane, Jul 29, 2005
  7. GraB

    Richard Guest

    The problem is there are very few places to download good quality audio on the
    net, the good quality lossless torrent trackers tend to have somewhat ecclectic
    choices on them (Sure has widened my musical realm tho) and getting off emule/dc
    networks is generally futile since there is no quality control for releases that
    go thru there, you just get random peoples rips with random software from often
    damaged CD's.
    There are loads of places tracking dvd rips online, some even do the full orig
    dvd with all the sub's and both audio etc. Its quite doable on a proper internet
    connection, just not on NZs 3rd world internet.

    Richard, Jul 30, 2005