    XP Pro machine behind a router. The machine is assigned with a private IP
    192.168.0.x.

    Thanks

    Bay, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Yes it is. You need to check the documentation for your router; look for
    references to NAT or Forwarding.

    Brendon Rogers, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Bay

    PastyPies Guest

    You need to configure port forwarding on you router.

    eg. Say you server that is hosting the service has a static IP of
    192.168.0.15, this is ok because it is behind your router that is performing
    NAT.

    The server could be hosting SMTP services for example on the default port of
    25. All you need do is forward port 25 on your router to 192.168.0.15, easy.

    Any requests that come into your cable or ADSL modem IP will by default be
    forwarded onto you router which is listening on port 25. Any request made to
    the port will be forwarded to the IP 192.168.0.15 and your server will
    respond.

    You could of course do more than one port forward on your router like add
    port 80 for a web server, 21 for FTP server etc.

    You must remember you will be opening your LAN to the Internet by doing the
    above and should but some kind of firewall in place as well.

    Hope this helps

    PastyPies, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Bay

    Bay Guest

    Yeah..it helps and it is getting there. What about this? This scenario is I
    have 2 Windows XP Pro behind the router and I will enable the remote
    desktop. How would I do the forwarding for these machines? Or as you said,
    I will made whatever to port 3389 forwarded to both IP of the XP machines? I
    also notice there is problem when using icq or msn sending or receiving
    files with private IP. I guess this relates to the port forwarding issue
    too? So I have to allow the port number for icq or msn be forwarded to
    these XP machines? Is that it? I am getting there. Thanks for your help.

    Billy

    Bay, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Bay

    PastyPies Guest

    These MS articles should answer your question.

    How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop - 306759

    and

    Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port - 304304

    You should be able to change the listening port of one of your XP machines
    to say 3399 and leave the other as default. Give each machine a static IP on
    your LAN such as 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20 for the other.

    On your router forward port 3389 to 192.168.0.10 and 3399 to 192.168.0.20

    Your cable/ADSL modem might have an IP of 80.135.36.84 for example. From the
    third machine which is say in your office or perhaps round your mate's house
    you could start a Remote Desktop Connection like so, I think!

    To connect to the machine 192.168.0.10 type 80.135.36.84:3389

    To connect to the machine 192.168.0.20 type 80.135.36.84:3399

    Enter the username and password for each machine.

    Give it a try at least, can't do any harm.

    PastyPies, Oct 20, 2003
  6. There is no need to change the RDP listening port.

    What you are doing on the router is port address translation.

    Simply choose two unused ports and forward each to port 3389 on the two
    different XP machines.

    Brendon Rogers, Oct 20, 2003