ihug ultra speed test - ne1 with ultra wanna try this test for me?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    of late it appears that my conncetion has dropped in speed dramatically.

    This is my latest test from ihugs website

    This test will estimate the download speed of your internet connection. The
    test works by sending a file to your computers browser and timing how long
    it takes to download. Your connection speed is calculated by dividing the
    file size by the download time. Results of your speed test:

    56 Kbps - dial up
    128 Kbps - ADSL
    Your Connection
    256 Kbps - Wireless
    1000 Kbps - Ultra
    2000 Kbps - Wireless

    Speed test details:

    Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
    Download time: 28.157 seconds
    Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)

    anyone else with Ultra (prefer DBS service) want to do this test and see
    what your getting.

    Talked to Ihug, they say several things.

    1. my connection is not limited

    2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single downloads
    will be slow.

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Nov 25, 2004

  3. that sounds about right ro satnet... what'd you used to get?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    dunno. used to download stuff at 200-250k/sec. lately been downloading at
    7-10k/s Thats why I decided to run some tests.

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    interesting.

    Loaded 414,161 bytes in 27.109 seconds from TOAST.net USA server.

    33.6K Modem: 16-27K
    56K Modem: 34-45K
    ISDN/I-DSL: 100-120K
    Your throughput: 122 K
    Cable/ADSL: 229-950K
    T1: 1078-1300K

    2004-11-24 20:14:37 EST: 110 / 21
    Your download speed : 113170 bps, or 110 kbps.
    A 13.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 21768 bps, or 21 kbps

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    Frank Sams Guest

    Same deal here on my ultra connection.
    Been like it for a week or two now.
    Bit of a pain when paying big $$ and small data cap : (

    Frank Sams, Nov 25, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    It's not a sun spot problem ? or the alignment of the New Zealand to the
    sun ? I'm assuming that it's happened suddenly..

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 25, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    any idea what your tests *used* to read?

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Dunno. signal strength is 78% which ihug say is a really good signal.

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  10. wasn't there an issue with satnet where it would suck if you got too
    high of a signal?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    yep. I don't know what the 78% is a percentage of. In the old drivers it
    gave a AEG value. Mine was 199. I heard problems started at 210+

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  12. cowboyz

    Frank Sams Guest

    I used to get 150 - 200k/sec using DAP, same sites with DAP I get about 5 -
    20k/sec

    Even from ihugs ftp is it still slooooww...

    Frank Sams, Nov 25, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    It is becoming apparent that they are really trying to get as many people as
    possible off Ultra. If only Jetstream were available here.................

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    Frank Sams Guest

    No ADSL here.. even if there was, I am about 10kms from the local exchange.
    I am out of luck.
    $70per month for 3gb data cap at 20k/sec is not really a good deal. But I do
    not have any other options.

    Frank Sams, Nov 25, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    yep. I feel for ya. I opted for 2G cap cause I have friends in town and
    they download the big files for me now. Hassle though.

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004