Ihug phone is a good deal - exactly how?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. I must admit, I am puzzled. I got an email from Ihug that they are now offering
    the fantastic new home phone that allows me to get away from Telescum entirely.
    Great!

    Cost per month - 45 bucks. That is more or less what I pay Telescum.

    A calling plan MUST BE purchased - min $15 for the 'after hours' plan. Huh. I
    virtually never even have 10 bucks worth of tolls per month, and most of those
    are calls to mobile that are not covered by Ihug's calling plan. Doh. 15 bucks
    off the radar already.

    Maintenance not included. So if Downer has to come out and fix a broken wire in
    the pillar outside my house (happened 3 times so far in the last 10 years, not
    to mention that they had to replace my 'card' twice in the exchange since 86) I
    shall have to pay for it myself with Ihug's plans. Ouch. No fscking way, that
    could be over 100 bucks a pop, seeing as I live just this side of the black
    stump.

    Really, what are these guys playing at? I don't get it, much as I dislike
    Gattung's ex-monopoly, why would I pay that much more! Do these numbers run
    differently for anybody out there in telecommunication users' country?

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Peter Huebner

    Phil Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote, On 19/10/06 1.01 a:
    I think the maintenance fee just covers the wiring in your house, and
    Telecom covers anything outside. This is the same way that normal
    Telecom homelines have it done (although you can opt-out and pay
    ridiculous rates if someone does break that you can't fix).

    -Phil

    Phil, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Peter Huebner

    thingy Guest

    The one to wait for (hopefully) is Vodafone's home plan, use your mobile
    at home at a landline rate, outside that 100metres or so mobile rates,
    now if they can deliver on that at the $30 odd a month so I have to pay
    (so one phone for everything) Telstra-scum (as a mate of mine in the
    telco business says, just another telco) I'd go for it....

    regards

    Thing
    PS It would be interesting to hear from OZZies about their thoughts on
    Telstra, I would not be surprised if we found they are as anal when its
    their home market as Telescum is here....
    PPS I see that Telescum are now laying off 700 people...the Q is why did
    they keep them this long.....

    thingy, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    I think Vodafone are going to have a few interesting problems with that
    one. By the time cell hopping is taken into account the 'home' area is
    likely to be several km across.

    EMB, Oct 18, 2006
  5. Peter Huebner

    Zipper Guest

    Yeah... So how does that work with more than one person in the house? eg
    you hook one cellphone up on this plan and the person that owns that
    phone takes their phone to town with them.. So now you don't have a
    "landline" at home for people to call other people at the house.

    So would you need to have one phone on this plan and permanently leave
    it at the house so everyone can use it, so then you'd really need an
    extra phone?

    How does the 100 metre thing work also? Do they put something in your house?

    or have I missed something? (highly possible) :)

    Zipper, Oct 18, 2006
  6. Um, it goes like this: with Telecom the maintenance I pay covers all the gear
    up to the point where the copper enters my house. That's basically what I pay
    them the 45 bucks a month for, plus I get the free local calling.

    With Ihug's offering the 45 bucks covers only the wiring IN the house, but the
    copper outside is NOT covered, as I understand it from their website. But since
    I'd no longer pay Telecom, I'd be out in the cold if the copper between the
    exchange and my house breaks/gets broken. That is not such a good deal, as far
    as I can see.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 18, 2006
  7. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    I fail to see how anyone would understand that from their website?

    wiring & maintenance

    How does it work? If there is a phone fault which turns out to be caused
    by the wiring in your house, then this monthly charge covers this,
    otherwise charges for a technician to fix the fault will apply.

    *in your house*

    Richard, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Peter Huebner

    Vista Guest

    I think people will find that when unbundling occurs, it won't work out any
    cheaper for the end consumer, especially when it comes to telephones.
    Telstra are just as bad, if not worse that Telecom. Telecom are able to
    provide a relatively cheap service due to economies of scale, and their
    prices haven't skyrocketed like they have with electricity prices. I have
    heard that ihugs plan, the sound qulaity isn't as good, and there have been
    lots of technical problems. I personally would wait.

    Vista, Oct 19, 2006
  9. No, the copper outside your house belongs to Telecom, any maintenance that
    needs to be done to it is part of their internal expenses, it's not an item
    on your bill.

    The wiring maintenance fee that you can choose to pay or not, covers the
    wiring _within_ your house. It's like insurance that Telecom offers. The
    wiring belongs to you, not to Telecom.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2006
  10. Peter Huebner

    jasen Guest

    That's OK you don't own that external copper, you rent it. "line rental"
    should cover it. I think it's called the "local loop".

    jasen, Oct 19, 2006
  11. Peter Huebner

    jasen Guest

    myybe they give you a phoone with GPS?

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Oct 19, 2006
  12. Peter Huebner

    Earl Grey Guest

    Users who have`access to Telstra's cable modem service don't have the
    same problems with the slowdown at peak hours due to the cynical and
    excessive contention ratio that Telecom has oversold.
    When unbundling occurs it will allow other operators to provide their
    own backhaul connectivity to the adsl local loop

    Earl Grey, Oct 19, 2006
  13. Peter Huebner

    thingy Guest

    From my limited understanding they can tri-angulate to less than 100m
    without an issue....at least military grade stuff can. This was a few
    years ago as well, so I assume such capability is quite cheap now....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 19, 2006
  14. There is a reason Telecom's phone line rental prices haven't skyrocketed,
    and I suspect it's the only reason: the Kiwi Share. One of the
    conditions that the government set when they sold off Telecom was that
    the residential line rental price can never be increased, except to keep
    up with inflation. As far as I know Telecom have taken full advantage of
    this to regularly increase the price, even though the use of modern
    technology and the contracting out of most of their installation and
    maintenance work should have reduced the cost to supply a phone line.

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 19, 2006
  15. I don't know what Vodaphone have planned, but fixed cellular phones
    exist. They're basically a cell phone in a box which connects to the
    mains instead of runnning from a battery, has a decent antenna on it,
    and allows you to wire your household phones into it.

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 19, 2006
  16. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Assuming that there is more then one cell site visable from the location
    that the call is made from

    Richard, Oct 19, 2006
  17. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Ok, so perhaps its not suitable for people that want to share a landline
    with other people in the house, but for a majority of under 30s that are
    flatting or have no kids that have always had a cellphone and view a
    landline as an un-nessacary antique then it will be ideal
    No, each person in the house has their phone on the plan where suitable,
    meaning that they no longer have to arse around answering calls that are
    not for them and telling people to call the other house occupants on
    their mobiles or worse having the caller expect them to take a message
    to pass on.
    Its still far from ideal, being that anyone that has it will have 2
    numbers so people still have the hassle of calling the local number and
    then having to call another one when the person is out.

    Richard, Oct 19, 2006
  18. Peter Huebner

    Craig Shore Guest

    Craig Shore, Oct 19, 2006
  19. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    It's more, $2.80 more then homeline, and $5.15 more then anytime

    Yes, and with the lack of the freedom option to 027's it would work out
    a lot more expensive for the few heavy landline users that I know.

    Plus the land to mobile rates are hardly competitive at 55c

    To add insult to the pricing its now required to get the advertised cap
    on the broadband plans.

    Richard, Oct 19, 2006
  20. Peter Huebner

    Vista Guest

    Hence ihug would would need to fix it, as the contract is between the
    customer and ihug, and not between the customer and telecom. ihug are the
    middle man when it comes to dealing with problems.

    Vista, Oct 19, 2006