    Gopish Too Guest

    I am going to buy a backdrop but cannot decide which would be the most
    versatile.

    Gopish Too, Nov 8, 2005

  2. I'd probably go with a neutral muslin. Then you can change the color
    with background lights and it's more interesting looking than seamless
    paper.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Gopish Too

    Bill Funk Guest

    Obviously, that would be the one that most fits your needs.
    What are your needs?

    Bill Funk, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Gopish Too

    Gopish Too Guest

    That is the problem! I do not really know. Probably portraits would be
    the most useful application.

    Gopish Too, Nov 8, 2005
  5. Gopish Too

    Bill Funk Guest

    In that case, a light neutral color might be best, as you can use
    colored lights to alter the color.
    Good luck!

    Bill Funk, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Gopish Too

    Tony Guest

    The plainer the better. The busier the worse. You might look for something
    in a neutral colour if you can only get one, but background paper is cheap
    and if you are dealing with people it helps sales to have the background
    colour coordinated to clothing, hair, eyes - etc.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Nov 8, 2005
  7. Gopish Too

    Charlie Self Guest

    Depends, though. I use mostly white seamless, unless an editor requests
    a different color. Most editors want ease of drop out, or at least that
    choice, so I've found white works best for me. For other kinds of
    photography, though, probably a neutral muslin or canvas.

    I'm one of those disagreeable SOBs who hate these painted glop
    backgrounds that most portrait shooters depend on.

    Charlie Self, Nov 8, 2005
  8. I've used Old Masters backgrounds and I've used bright, solid colors.
    It all depends on what you want the final image to look like.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Gopish Too

    Deedee Tee Guest

    I shoot macro for scientific publications, which almost always are
    going to be mounted together as several shots making up a BW plate
    with a uniform black background, so I always use a black velvet cloth
    to get as close as possible to black (real cotton velvet is far
    blacker than synthetic fiber, but you can't get the former any more).
    It makes it easier to mask away the background in Photoshop, and the
    contour of the subject looks natural on the plate background.

    Deedee Tee, Nov 9, 2005