If You Need To Recover XP Passwords, Read This...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    DR. BOMBAY COMPUTER M.D.
    Emilio Bombay June 03 2004

    It's time for Dad to take control of the computer

    Dear Dr. Bombay: I have a 15-year-old addicted to porn. His computer (XP
    Professional) is locked out by a system administrator password. Is there
    any way to unlock his vault of filth?

    -- Father Doesn't Know Best

    Dear Father: Uhhh, who's running your household? No, never mind, I
    already know the answer.

    If you really wanted to protect your kid from the onslaught of filth
    available at a click of the mouse button, you would have set yourself up
    as the administrator, then created a limited user account for your kid.
    That wouldn't have stopped him from trolling for porn, but at least you
    could have gotten in to see what the sneaky little perv has been up to.

    Cracking the admin password on a Windows machine is no big deal, as I've
    said before. Windows security is pretty much of a joke and serves little
    more purpose than keeping parents and other hopelessly
    computer-illiterate dimbulbs away from stuff they might break.

    Give the kid your credit card and send him to the mall for a few hours.
    Then go to www.petri.co.il/top.htm and look for the article about
    recovering the password you need. You can read the details there, but
    you'll need to download one of the recovery tools mentioned in the
    article. They help you make bootable Linux disks that can read the info
    from all the "secret" Windows places ...

    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/8826612.htm?1c

    TechNews, Jun 3, 2004

  2. I'm happy to have some new tools at my disposal, although I'm not really
    sure that I need them. I also read elsewhere about getting logged into a
    Linux machine as root when you have no clue about the password is
    easy. When booting the machine and you come to the "boot:" prompt, just
    type in "linux single" and hit Enter. At the next prompt type in "passwd
    root" and then type your new password at the next prompt. Then type in
    "shutdown -r now" and hit Enter. Then at reboot you can log in as root
    using the new password. I don't know how many distros of Linux this
    works on, although tomorrow at work I may try it on a couple of Redhat
    servers just as a test. If it works, it's a damn site faster than making
    a bootable CD for WinXP. I also read about some Redhat hacks to get into
    root but they were marginally more complicated.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 4, 2004

  3. TechNews

    Michel Guest

    Interesting thank you for the input.