    decay over time?

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    Lighters might be an awe-inspiring thing!
    Engineering books - well, I was an Army engineer, and the books would
    have been useless back then. Of course, they dealt with things like
    building airfields. :)

    I'm thinking that engineering books in general would leave you pretty
    frustrated by requiring things you just couldn't get, including the
    manpower.
    I'm also thinking that going back in time and thinking you can alter
    things in a major way just won't work, except if you just used
    violence. The technology available would be so lacking compared to
    what we have now that just about any project you cared to undertake
    would be lacking tools or other items that just didn't exist, and
    couldn't be fabricated. And even if all that was needed was manpower,
    how would you get the locals to volunteer, when you couldn't talk to
    them?
    Even altering things in a minor way would be hard, because you
    couldn't communicate the need, or concept.

    If *I* were to go back in time, I'd be very sure I could get back.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Guest

    Nick Zentena Guest

    Watermill,windmill,still for water purefaction. More modern farming
    methods. You don't bring 2004 tech with you. You bring 1504 tech with you.

    Nick

    Nick Zentena, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    Absolutely: what you want at any given time is the thing they would have
    invented anyway not that much (relatively) later: so it is achievable, but
    still a great step forward. What that is depends on what time you are at -
    the secret of iron smelting would be pretty good in the late bronze age...

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    The trouble with the beads is making sure no one finds them pretty and makes
    them into jewellery. Remember Marie Curie and teh necklace she wore? Of
    course they are only practical for low volume / high level waste (which is
    just where they would be dangerous as trinkets). Ocean floor disposal deals
    with that, but like you I wonder about its environmental impact.

    The subduction zone idea ocurred to me as well - don't know if it has been
    seriously considered but it does seem to be the ideal answer in so many
    ways.

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    GPS: I wonder how he would build and launch the satellites?

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Guest

    Dave Guest

    A shed load of Durex.

    Dave.

    Dave, Jun 26, 2004
  8. Guest

    paul Guest

    When I read the OP, I had the best laugh for this day. thanks!

    paul, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Guest

    Ron G Guest

    How about an ancient Polaroid....

    Ron G, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Guest

    Azzz1588 Guest

    I was thinking about a Ruger 10/22 with a couple thousand rounds.
    It would leave you room to carry other stuff :)

    Azzz1588, Jun 30, 2004