    lens, and 30 min with my Redshift software and I could tell THEM what day
    and time it was... better yet, I would build them a calendar ;).

    - H

    skymuffins, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Right -- and then explain how the earth is spherical and is in orbit
    around the sun. Sometimes knowledge can be fatal :)

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Guest

    Alan Browne Guest

    Bring Al Gore with you to invent the internet while you're there.

    Alan Browne, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Guest

    Harry Krause Guest

    Selma Hayek and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

    Harry Krause, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    Right.
    You will show up with a few strange devices, and proceed to tell them
    what day it *really* is.

    Like I said earlier, any sufficiently advanced technology is
    indistinguishable from magic.
    This does not mean that you will automatically be revered; it could
    simply mean that they will kill you immediately.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Guest

    jean Guest

    Bimbos were present from day one, how good do you think these two would look
    after running out of makeup and plastic surgeons?

    jean, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Guest

    Harry Krause Guest

    Bimbos? They're both bright and accomplished women. And I've seen one
    them without makeup. She looked terrific.

    Harry Krause, Jun 23, 2004
  8. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    [SNIP]

    Aspirin. And, in my case, ergotamine. The one modern thing I'd really hate
    to be without. Otherwise, as a one time archaeologist, I'd be having a
    ball.

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    Not in every culture, but in quite a few that's what I've always imagined
    too, when day-dreaming about it.

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 24, 2004
  10. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    Best bet would be to stick it in a slow moving glacier.
    Some years back there was a debate about how to label high level radioactive
    waste in ways that would appropriately warn people "Do not dig here or you
    will die!" and would last the necessary 20,000 years. Language is not too
    tricky: a skull and cross-bones suggests death to any human regardless of
    cutural context - the problem is the material. Most things that really last
    are also intrinsically valuable or useful. Gold - nah, people would
    actively dig it up. Plastics wouldn't last long enough. Even glass makes
    excellent flaked cutting tools, and who is to say that in 20 millenia man
    won't be back to the stone age.

    In the end someone had the sense to ask archaeologists, and the concensus
    answer was pottery. Lasts easily for that length of time, and is not very
    intrinsically useful: break it and there are no sharp edges, it can't really
    be shaped in any worthwhile way. Make it rounded, so you can't build with
    it. Bury enough at the site that they have no rarity value and that anyone
    digging there will run into them, but not so many that they are worth
    exploiting as a raw material (to ballast a boat, say, or to grind up to make
    grog tempered earthenware.) I always thought this was a fascinating
    exercise.
    I once dug on a late mediaeval site where we had a student who thought he
    knew everything. One day we got a football and painted half of it matt
    black and burried it - black half up - in some loose soil (of course we
    didn't disturb the real stratigraphy - we were all archaeologists, after
    all...) in the area he was digging. Much excitement from him at uncovering
    this 'cannon ball', followed by careful cleaning to reveal it, then
    incredulity turning to fury as he got beyond the paint and found what it
    really was, followed by the rest of us falling about laughing and him
    throwing the ball at someone's head.

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 24, 2004
  11. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    [SNIP]
    Actually, all you need in most cultures and times would be an astronomical
    almanac. Predicting eclipses and so on would get you all the respect you
    needed.

    Still, the history book could be handy - any wars coming up, it would be
    nice to sure you were on the winning side...

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 24, 2004
  12. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Assuming you really knew the time and date.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 24, 2004
  13. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    The almanac idea might work. The history book might provide some
    surprises. How well do we really know history that far back?

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 24, 2004
  14. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    And I would *NOT* use an almanac to be sure I was on the winning side
    in a war - I'd use it to make sure I was no where close.
    War was *really* hell back then.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 24, 2004
  15. Guest

    Spectre Guest

    M1A1 Abrams, lots of Fuel and AMMO!!!

    Spectre, Jun 24, 2004
  16. Guest

    Sander Vesik Guest

    That has only marginaly changed. But sure - not being anywhere near a
    larger conflict would be good. Problem is, most of the "minor" ones
    aren't really known about so its goingto be very hard to do either.

    Sander Vesik, Jun 24, 2004
  17. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    I think it was really worse, for all concerned.
    Medical care was barbaric, to say the least.
    Even the people who lived near the armys' paths lost out; the only way
    to feed the troops was to forage, and paying for what was taken was
    usually a nicety that simply didn't exist. And, if a region proved to
    be a good provider ont he way *to* the battle (if a long way away) was
    revisited on the way *back*, too. Something for the farmers to look
    forward to, especially in regions that were's even part of the fray.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 24, 2004
  18. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    Strictly as a mental exercise, I would consider that terminal
    overkill.
    One ot two thousand years ago, there were no practical targets worthy
    of that kind of firepower.
    IMO, much better would be something along the line of an APC; much
    more interior room (gotta put that fuel somewhre, as well as the photo
    equipment), able to be operated by one person, an M-60 on the
    ring/pintle is more than enough to intimidate any group of people of
    the time period, and the APC will protect you as well as the M1A1 will
    from whatever the locals can throw at you.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 24, 2004
  19. How about a couple of lighters and some engineering books?

    Matt Silberstein, Jun 24, 2004
  20. Guest

    Bandicoot Guest

    I didn't mean to be fighting - simply to avoid being in the country/tribe/
    whatever that got conquered and enslaved/slaughtered/decimated whatever...

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jun 24, 2004