    Bouser Guest

    True. The Professor could make a nuclear reactor using sand and palm trees,
    but couldn't fix a hole in a boat.

    Bouser, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Guest

    Lionel Guest

    Now you know the difference between a physicist & an engineer. ;)

    Lionel, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    There are reasons that technological breakthroughs come when they do;
    supporting technology must also be possible.

    What would you do with any film you exposed? Did you also backpack
    your chemicals?
    How would you *view* your pics? Did you also pack in your papers? How
    about a darkroom?
    With digital, how do you view the pics?

    Even just getting *water* will be a problem; there's a reason everyone
    drank beer & wine: the water was really bad.

    I seriously doubt that film, if unprocessed would last to today, *if*
    it were discoverd in some dig.
    A Compact flash card? It's plastic; plastic lasts a long time, but not
    *that* long.

    Then, as others have pointed out, technology, if sufficiently
    advanced, is indistinguishable from magic.

    However, let's say you could keep your magic private; digital, with a
    laptop and a solar recharging unit, would be *far* easier to use than
    film.
    Film just requires too much technology that wouldn't be availabe to
    you; as I said, even clean water will be a problem. A source of
    reliable, white light would be another problem.

    As for hoping that your pics will survive a thousand years or so
    isn't, IMO, a reasonable hope.
    Imagine: you've found some way to, say, package your film (laptop) so
    that it actually survives. Can you imagine the howls of laughter from
    other archeologists when someone announces the find?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 22, 2004
  4. You should read Mark Twains "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court" to
    see how he dealt with this kind of time shift.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Guest

    m II Guest

    Get John Houseman to go back with your. There could be a remake of 'The
    Paper Chase'. A cameo appearance by Raquel Welch dressed in proper
    caveman attire may also be in order.

    In a pinch, Valerie Perine would do nicely. I appreciated her full
    frontal acting abilities in Kurt Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse Five'..

    mike

    m II, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Guest

    Mike Guest

    If the technology is not present to deal with film you can be assured you
    won't be using digital either :)

    Mike, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Guest

    skymuffins Guest

    Take your DSLR setup, Laptop and Solar Charger and a history book. Use them
    to convince leaders that you are from another world and that if any harm
    comes to you that you will destroy earth... You will need money and
    transportation to travel the world and document everything with your "Magic
    Window" or your species will take over the earth. Use the history book to
    predict events here-and-there, so that they know you're serious... Enjoy
    the world like a god!

    - Harrison.

    skymuffins, Jun 22, 2004
  8. Guest

    Charlie Self Guest

    skymuffins responds:
    Sure. A few thousand years ago, you get to use your feet for transport, just
    like most anyone else. You might wangle a mule or jenny if you land in the
    right spot at the right time.

    How are you going to demonstrate an ability to destroy the earth?

    What history book is accurate enough to allow predictions based on its "facts?"

    Actually, if you pop up, or down, in front of someone in a bad mood some 3000
    years ago, they'd probably have bounced a club off your head or shoved a bronze
    spear up your anus before you had a chance to flip the lid on the laptop.

    Charlie Self
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
    it to." Dorothy Parker

    Charlie Self, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Guest

    jean Guest

    Is that the only way to take that idiot off the air?

    jean, Jun 22, 2004
  10. Guest

    Sander Vesik Guest

    And the leaders would believe you are from another world instead of just
    being a good oracle for precicely what reason?

    Sander Vesik, Jun 22, 2004
  11. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    That would test whether she could truly deal with a "simple life",
    indeed. Likely you would want to brain her with the camera after a week.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 22, 2004
  12. Guest

    MartianSand Guest

    then you'd go blind and find out it's just a cardboard fake

    no camera no paris , just alot of hilt on tounge from a storm truper puper

    MartianSand, Jun 22, 2004
  13. Guest

    skymuffins Guest

    "facts?"

    Astronomical predictions go back for tens of thousand of years (my $49.
    Redshift software can do that for planets, comets, asteroids,
    eclipses,etc)...
    Playing on their superstitious nature with accurate predictions of the
    planets might get you in good with the king. Perhaps a view through your
    telephoto lens may get you a few perks... use your imagination... I thought
    that was what this thread was all about anyway ;).
    Someone's been watching too many Hollywood movies... Ok then, I would train
    myself in martial arts weapons before I went so that I could take on a room
    full of bodybuilding, sword wielders with a tripod leg and whip their ass
    ;).
    I didn't know god gave anyone money, I though that most people give it to
    him?

    skymuffins, Jun 22, 2004
  14. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    The problem might be getting to meet the king.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 22, 2004
  15. Guest

    Sander Vesik Guest

    Ever heard of self-developing film or Polaroid? Or were those not yet
    around when you crawled out of your cave?
    oh yeah. Maybe you should stop mixing up history and history channel garbage.

    [snip - even more crap]

    Sander Vesik, Jun 23, 2004
  16. Guest

    skymuffins Guest

    My guess is that anyone with a high-school understanding of physics and
    applied science, along with a little help from an astronomical database,
    might be able to get the word out quickly that he was a world class
    prognosticator... I think that the king might be seeking your council rather
    quickly.

    - H

    skymuffins, Jun 23, 2004
  17. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Could be -- or maybe he would just burn the sorcerer at the stake :)

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 23, 2004
  18. Guest

    skymuffins Guest

    I would lay a final curse... a prediction of a lunar eclipse that would
    leave him scared shitless for the rest of his life...

    skymuffins, Jun 23, 2004
  19. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    I thought I'd covered that by mentioning the laptop and solar
    recharging system.
    I have no idea how long it would work, but it would work.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 23, 2004
  20. Guest

    Big Bill Guest

    An interesting idea, except that two thousand years ago, the people
    didn't really know what day it was with any accuracy, and even if they
    did, their calendar and yours wouldn't match.

    And it would suck to be a day off!

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 23, 2004