If you are trapped in ancient time, what would you take?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guest, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Let's say, through the act of god, or whatever, that you've been
    transported back through time for a few thousand years. Would you've
    preferred that you have a digital camera? Or a film camera?

    If you just happen to have a digital camera, say a Canon digital rebel
    (or D Mark II, or Nikon D2x, whatever) with a fully charged battery,
    and say a 1GB compact flash (heck, say a 10gb cf). How would you use
    it? It's unlikely that you'll be able to charge the battery once it's
    gone. If you will never make it back to our time, do you think the
    compact flash will retain its data for a few thousand years? Under
    the assumption that it might retain the data for a while, how would
    you shoot? Are you gonna shoot raw? JPG, what compression level? What
    do you think is more worthwhile to archeologists, 1000 medium grade
    pictures, or 500 higher grade pictures? Or 200 raw pictures? :)

    On the other hand, if you happen to have say a film camera, with a few
    roll of film, say 10-20, what would you do? For the sake of argument
    I'll assume the film camera also takes battery, but those batteries
    might last a bit longer. However, there's no place to buy additional
    battery or develop the film, so it's also unlikely that it will last a
    few thousand years for us to see anyway....

    If we change the scenario a bit, let's say you get 'rescued' after 3
    years, but you don't know that, but you are under the assumption that
    you will be rescued after some time, how would you use your camera to
    document this once in a lifetime never before possible encounter to
    the world? If you have your pick of equipment, what would it be?
    Whatever you pick, it has to fit in a backpack. :)

    Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
    compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
    the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
    storage, that also takes AA batteries :)

    Or, I could use a fully mechanical film camera and some bulk films. :)

    Raymond

    Guest, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Guest

    Mike Guest

    Won't matter what camera you take. No electricty to operate recharge your
    digi batteries or run your computer, no chemicals or processors to handle
    film.
    You would be better off taking drawing pads and a box of pencils.
    Oh Yeah watch out for the man eating animals.

    Mike, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Guest

    Alan Browne Guest

    The first GPS' test satellites flew around 1980 and a navigable
    constellation didn't appear before about 1994. So leave the GPS
    at home for this trip to the past.

    Alan Browne, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    True. I've forgotten about that. Damn!!

    Raymond

    Guest, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Guest

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mike responds:
    Which makes an M1 and a couple thousand rounds a much better bet for a
    traveling companion.

    Charlie Self
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
    it to." Dorothy Parker

    Charlie Self, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I thought about that. But since this is a photography newsgroup, let's
    stick to the photographic equipment. ;)

    Guest, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Guest

    Charlie Self Guest

    nospamphoto requests:
    Fair enough. Add in a pinhole camera, some tin sheet, and a helluva good
    chemistry course so you can prep your own, make your own chemicals, and produce
    tintypes.

    Charlie Self, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Guest

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    If you brought any advanced technology you would have been killed for
    witchcraft. No matter how hard you tried you would not be able to convince
    them otherwise.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Too bad those GPS satellites won't be launched for hundreds of years to
    come.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 21, 2004
  10. I'd also recommend running daily to prepare for the inevitable witch
    hunts.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Guest

    Ted Azito Guest

    I'd take a rollfilm camera, B&W film, powdered developer and fixer and
    process what I could, plus depending how far back-Greek, Roman times?
    Middle Ages? Revolutionary War? -some chemical info to make photo
    chemistry and also sensitized plates. A press camera capable of taking
    glass plates or silvered Daugerrotype tins might be a winner too.

    I'd also take a few rolls of Kodachrome on the off chance that stored
    it might survive until modern times, if kept cool.

    Personally, if I could go back in time, I wouldn't want to go that
    far...my preferred times would all be within the era of relatively
    modern photography. And photos wouldn't be my concern. (A list of
    lottery numbers for foreign lotteries and some football and baseball
    scores, that's the ticket.)

    Ted Azito, Jun 22, 2004
  12. Guest

    Drifter Guest

    Yeah, I'd want the complete set of books listed on the How Things Work
    Bibliography
    http://lib.virginia.edu/science/guides/HowThingsWork.htm#chemengr

    Then I could build my own darkroom, etc.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jun 22, 2004
  13. Guest

    MarkH Guest

    When you try to use the GPS you would introduce the word "DOH!" to the
    ancient civilization.

    MarkH, Jun 22, 2004
  14. Guest

    The Dave© Guest

    You obviously never saw the Gilligan's Island episode where they
    recharged their radio batteries with coconut cups and water, or
    whatever.

    The Dave©, Jun 22, 2004
  15. Guest

    Phil Cole Guest

    Don't forget your GPS Satellites.

    Phil

    Phil Cole, Jun 22, 2004
  16. Guest

    Lionel Guest

    Indeed. I'm guessing that the OP doesn't know what the acronym 'GPS'
    actually stands for. ;)

    Lionel, Jun 22, 2004
  17. I would probably take a Nikon F5. I would then seek out the ancestors
    of a few key people, and use it to bash their skulls in.

    Other than that, what possible use would I have for a camera that far
    back? I'd be too busy trying to invent toilet paper...

    - Al.

    Al Denelsbeck, Jun 22, 2004
  18. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Maybe he thinks those things have always been up there. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 22, 2004
  19. Guest

    MarkH Guest

    I’m sure he realised it stood for Global Positioning System, but didn’t
    stop to think about how it worked.

    MarkH, Jun 22, 2004
  20. Guest

    Ken Oaf Guest