If anyone lives in Maryland - GSA auction tomorrow- good deals

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, Aug 31, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    Kevin Guest

    These auctions usually are dominated by wholesale buyers who quickly snap up
    any and all items of any value whatsoever. I've been to several of these
    auctions and I'll give you an example of what I mean.

    There were over 20 pickup trucks, formerly owned by the United States Forest
    Service, on the block. Most had over 120,000 miles on them. They were all
    vintage 1990 to 1993 model Fords, generally in decent shape, with a few
    cosmetic blemishes like scratches, some with cracked windshields, broken
    door latches, and other defects. None of these vehicles were worth over
    $2500.

    The bidding started with one gentlemen offering $1250 for a truck he had his
    eye on. A dealer immediately bid $1900. That was the end of that. Two
    dealers paid an average of $2250 for those trucks. No private party won any
    of the bids because no one would pay $500 more than the trucks were worth.
    Several of us private citizens just shook our heads in disbelief and left
    the auction.

    Kevin, Aug 31, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Hang on, unless you are suggesting something else altogether, the
    dealers obviously paid what they thought these trucks were worth on the
    day. That is the way auctions work!

    Oldus Fartus, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Re: "No private party won any of the bids because no one would pay $500
    more than the trucks were worth. "

    If 20 of these were sold for an average of $2,250 each, then, by
    definition, they were worth an average of $2,250 each.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 31, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    zwsdotcom Guest

    The OP's point is that the value of an object is higher to someone
    who's going to resell it in a store and average out individual lemons
    with long-run high sale prices on working goods vs. someone who is
    willing to buy a single no-guarantees vehicle for his own personal use.

    Therefore it's not worth while for an individual to go to such an
    auction to buy for his own use.

    I happen to agree with that, btw. GSA auctions are not like a garage
    sale; they're more like a tendered contract.

    zwsdotcom, Aug 31, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    Uplink Guest

    spam

    Uplink, Sep 1, 2006
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    My point ( I'm the OP) was that I saw some good deals on computers in MD
    listed ( which is why I posted here). They had several lots that were
    carts full of laptops/laser printers for very cheap money. Yeah there
    might have been some old stuff/trash in there but if ANY of it worked
    (which an attendee would find out) it would have been a good deal. TO
    keep or resell.
    I was personally looking for a few laptops and in states near me they
    only had old cars/trucks.

    - Bobb -, Sep 1, 2006
  8. In almost 100% of all cases, govt. laptops have no hard drives, the
    govt. physically destroys the drives to protect privacy and/or security.
    Problem is, they don't JUST destroy the drives, they destroy the
    entire drive assemblies (covers, caddies, mounting hardware, etc.).
    Which makes such laptops quite difficult to use in most cases.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 1, 2006
  9. - Bobb -

    Kevin Guest

    That's just it. There was no way any of us private guys would have ever
    considered paying what those two dealers paid for those units. This was the
    case with many other items like office equipment, computers, printers, fax
    machines, some power tools like chainsaws, brush cutters and so on. Dealers
    immediately raised the bid far past anything the private guy was willing to
    pay. We were just looking to get a good deal on a used pickup, not purchase
    one for resale. If we could have won a rig at $1700 or maybe $1750, we
    would have been very happy.

    Kevin, Sep 1, 2006
  10. - Bobb -

    Kevin Guest

    Not to us. And not to any of the other guys just trying to buy a beat up,
    high-mileage rig for work.

    Kevin, Sep 1, 2006
  11. - Bobb -

    Kevin Guest

    Bingo! You nailed it, first try!

    Kevin, Sep 1, 2006
  12. - Bobb -

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Of course you were looking for a good deal, but you obviously were not
    prepared to pay a fair price.

    I have worked in the auction industry and can tell you we often had
    criticism leveled at us from the other direction. Private buyers were
    prepared to pay more for an item than a dealer, particularly when it is
    considered other costs have to be added to the purchase price before the
    dealer can on-sell the item.

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 1, 2006
  13. - Bobb -

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    In general, something's worth what someone's willing to pay for it.
    Dealers rarely overpay for things, IME.

    It may not have been worth that much to you, but it was obviously
    worth it to someone.

    That's the way auctions work. It's both a blessing and a curse!

    Neil Maxwell, Sep 1, 2006
  14. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    Why would any private party ever bid on a pickup on looks alone? At
    least I never would. That's like buying a laptop on eBay as is. lol

    BillW50, Sep 3, 2006