    I have IEEE 1394_1 and IEEE 1394_2 connectors on my new board with RJ45 as
    input, surely I cant connect my cable modem up here can I and do away with
    my network card

    dave, Jul 2, 2003

  2. dave

    Mitch Guest

    Not unless you find some kind of adapter for FireWire-Ethernet.

    But your request seems odd -- an Ethernet card is not expensive, nor
    does it cost a lot of performance. And it is the preferred way to
    connect a broadband network adapter lke that for cable networks.

    Is there some other reason you want to do this?

    Mitch, Jul 2, 2003

  3. dave

    paul s Guest

    IEEE1394 (FireWire) with a RJ45 input?? Cable modems do indeed have RJ45
    connectors, but they are 10/100baseT network connectors not IEEE1394. Some
    cable modems also have USB.

    Normal IEEE1394 connectors look similar to USB connectors, and RJ45
    connectors look like american telephone plugs.

    paul s, Jul 2, 2003