    install it, it says "IE9 Preview does not support any operating system
    earlier than Vista SP2".

    What gives?

    Jim, Mar 18, 2010

  2. This is not a Microsoft newsgroup.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Mar 18, 2010

  3. Jim

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Jim Post:
    IE9 only works on Vista SP2 and
    Win7.

    OldGringo38, Mar 18, 2010
  4. Jim

    Mike Easter Guest

    The download site I'm looking at announces the minimum requirement for
    the demonstration app as Vista SP2 (or Win7 of course)
    What gives? What are you surprised at? It is common practice to have
    such minimum requirements, especially when the transition is across
    major Win boundaries such as Win9x to WinNT and then WinNT (5+ family)
    to Win6 forward family.

    XP is pretty old; pretty soon it won't be supported anymore. I seem to
    recall some early SP versions are going to go over the hill in April.

    That demo doesn't amount to much anyway; it isn't actually a browser.

    Mike Easter, Mar 18, 2010
  5. Jim

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ Post:
    Hey if your Mother wears combat boots I think I know her.

    OldGringo38, Mar 18, 2010
  6. Jim

    VanguardLH Guest

    What gives is that Microsoft isn't going to make a new product support
    ancient UNSUPPORTED products. That's why OE6 got debundled from IE7, and
    later versions. If a product is unsupported, why would you expect new
    versions of products to support the unsupported products? They're, well,
    unsupported. By the time IE9 goes through its Platform Preview release (it
    is NOT a Preview version in the sense that it is a Beta Preview), and then
    through its beta version, and when it finally gets to a released version,
    Windows XP won't be supported anymore.

    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

    Mainstream support dies in under a month from now for Windows XP. Extended
    support means you PAY for it (no included 2 incidents for free, and extended
    support is probably at a much higher pay scale). I'm sure if you were
    willing to toss, say, $200M at Microsoft to continue support for Windows XP
    during the time you wish to continue using it that they might consider
    reestablishing a team to provide that support and carry it forward into
    their new products.

    For the Internet Explorer 9 Test Drive, go look at:
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Default.html

    Read the FAQ which says:

    Q. Does Platform Preview run on Windows XP?
    A. No. Internet Explorer 9¢s GPU-powered graphics take advantage of new
    technologies available in Windows 7 and back-ported only to Windows Vista.
    These technologies depend on advancements in the display driver model
    introduced first in Windows Vista.

    Q. Will the final release of Internet Explorer 9 install side by side with
    earlier versions of Internet Explorer 8? Will Internet Explorer 9 run on
    Windows XP?
    A. It¢s too early to talk about features of the Internet Explorer 9 Beta.
    Our focus with Internet Explorer Platform Preview is to provide a vehicle
    with which Web developers can test their sites today and start planning if
    and how they want to support new HTML5 capabilities in the future. It is not
    intended for daily browsing.

    Microsoft may decide not to have IE9 support for pre-Vista versions of
    Windows as a means of prodding users to upgrade to Windows Vista or 7 (i.e.,
    if you want IE9, pay for a newer Windows version). We'll have to see what
    happens but the omens are already there.

    VanguardLH, Mar 18, 2010
  7. Some of you are overlooking the good news in all of this. Internet
    Explorer can now be totally disabled in Windows 7.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Mar 18, 2010
  8. Jim

    Bert Hyman Guest

    It's not even that sinister.

    Vista and W7 have new runtime features that XP doesn't have, and if a
    product is going to exploit those features, something has to give.

    You might as well ask why IE4 wouldn't run on DOS.

    Bert Hyman, Mar 18, 2010
  9. Jim

    VanguardLH Guest

    Alluded to by the Q&A that I included but which you snipped out. It might
    be possible to backport the required features into Windows XP - but NOT for
    a product that is no longer supported.

    In less than a month, Windows XP support is dead. The OP will have to get
    used to the fact that he will be using an unsupported product and there will
    be many new products or OS features in which he will never be able to
    partake. I'm still using Windows XP but I know it's a dead OS. I'll move
    to Windows 7 when I get around to my next system build.

    VanguardLH, Mar 18, 2010
  10. Jim

    chuckcar Guest

    That is how Microsoft maintains their OS monopoly and their market -
    their software becomes unsupported and you must buy the later ones. Just
    one of the nasty facts of life I'm afraid.

    chuckcar, Mar 19, 2010
  11. Jim

    Mike Hunt Guest

    ROTFLOL

    Mike Hunt, Mar 19, 2010
  12. Jim

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Hunt Post:
    <g>

    OldGringo38, Mar 19, 2010
  13. Jim

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In "Jim"
    Unless you build your own machine or buy a Mac, it's nearly impossible
    to get a PC today without it.

    Bert Hyman, Mar 19, 2010
  14. Jim

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <Xns9D4084641DF89VeebleFetzer@216.250.188.141> Bert Hyman
    Apple is even worse for not supporting older products.

    Pre-Intel Mac (machines made as late as January 2006 can't run OSX 10.6
    which was released only 3 years later), Microsoft is finally killing
    some support for an almost 10-year-old OS and people are whining?

    Anyone got a 9+ year old Linux distro that is still fully supported and
    receiving anything more than backported security updates?

    DevilsPGD, Mar 23, 2010